Sunday, November 6, 2011

NaBloPoMo Advice Column: Day 6 - Embrace the Crazy

I'm writing 30 thoughts in 30 days for NaBloPoMo. In no particular order, I'm giving you my worldview. I draw the topics from things that come up the day I post, or the day or two before I post.
I lead a relatively calm life. Most of the time, things are basically under control. I consider myself a rock for my children, and I'm happy to serve that role.

However, sometimes, I find it just works better to embrace the crazy. You know, those moments when both kids are running around as if they snuck a cappuccino in on me, and it is clear that there is no possible way order can be restored with a simple suggestion of calming down. We run, we dance, we laugh, I scoop them up and pretend to drop them on their heads to "shake their sillies out".


The principal at Connor's school embodies this philosophy. The woman knows every student and parent associated with the school. She can recall information with little to no preparation, and she knows EVERYBODY in the school system - and can put you in touch with them quickly if needed. Parents adore her. When we leave our children in her building, we know they are in great hands. I did a lot of nosing around before deciding to send Connor to public school and I heard no negative comments about this woman. Not even the "I totally love her but..." type. I might cry if she ever leaves our school. I'm grateful for her extraordinately sensitivity in the transition to public school.

The greatest thing about her, however, is that the kids love her too, and I think it's in part because of her ability to embrace the crazy. There is no doubt when a kid is around her that she loves them. She's willing to join in whatever a child is doing.

Earlier this year, after I dropped off Connor with a substitute teacher, I walked by the Principal's office as she and her assistant were marching down the hall. I made some remark to her about it looking like a fun day in Connor's class and she looked at me, laughed, and said "we're on it". And with that, she marched down the hall with her assistant, looking like someone in the Wild West heading out to a dual. They knew exactly what they were walking into, and they had the confidence of knowing exactly what they'd be walking out of. I have no doubt that Connor's class was calm in minutes - after having a great laugh with her and her assistant.

Another day, I mentioned to her I was having lunch with Connor that day and she advised "bring ear plugs". I didn't follow her advice, but it was good advice. She seemed to stay away from the cafeteria in general, but then a few weeks later, she started being the disc jockey at Friday lunches, which have turned into a big dance party. This, by the way, is "totally funny and really, really, really fun!", according to Connor. She even plays "really old music - like, from the 1980s". (Note to Connor - I learned to dance with that music. It's not that old!) Apparently, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

She dressed up for Halloween, she tells hilarious stories at PTA meetings, and she knows more about education in this county than anyone else, I believe. She sends out appeals for families in the school that need assistance, and privately makes sure that her students have enough to eat by throwing her full support behind and school food pantry. Amidst all the seriousness of the work she does - and she does take it seriously, she's willing to embrace the craziness that comes along with being an elementary school principal. This weekend, she read a silly story to the kids at a book fair, and when the story mentioned Yugoslavia, she looked up at the adults and said "when was this book published?". So there she was, with all the kids laughing, and all of the parents reassured that indeed, we were leaving our children in the hands of a smart woman.


Embrace the crazy. Sometimes, I've learned, it's the only way.

Elaine

Building a worldview:
Day 1: Surround Yourself With Brilliant People (though my friend Susan makes a good point that clever is pretty good, too).
Day 2: Whatever, it works.
Day 3: Surround Yourself With Beauty
Day 4: When You Go Through Something New - Drag Someone With You
Day 5: No sweatpants.

2 comments:

  1. sounds like the perfect principal
    ps. I had lunch with Rachel one day and you're right it was noisy but fun
    (Laurence as your blog does not recognize my e-mail)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post makes me happy on two fronts. I am brought to tears that Connor and Helen will have that experience. I am also so happy that your transition to public school has been an "easy" (all realtive) one. I know how much you love your children and I so glad you are comfortable.

    ReplyDelete