Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Welcome, to My NaBloPoMo Advice Column - 30 Thoughts in 30 Days

It's November, and with November comes Therese's rallying email to participate in National Blog Posting Month - NaBloPoMo - most annoying moniker on the internet. This marks year 5! I had thought about posting about something that annoys me each day, but even I get tired of listening to myself complain. So I thought I'd take the edge off it and also write about something I enjoy, but that didn't seem like enough damage control.
Instead, I'm bringing you my National Blog Posting Month Advice Column - 30 Thoughts in 30 Days. In no particular order, I'm giving you my worldview - borrowed from many.

1. Surround Yourself With Brilliant People

Helen has determined that J. is her best friend. I'm not sure J. really knows she exists, but his mom seems delighted that Helen is always so happy to see him. He shows up at school and Helen shouts to him, all but demanding that he come to her. Often, when we go places, Helen will exclaim from the back seat of the car "wouldn't it be so fabulous if J. were there, too?".

He's only 4, but from the looks of it, J. seems weirdly smart. He strikes me as one of those kids who is so busy thinking up brilliant ideas, that he has a hard time living in the present. One day, Helen's class was walking back from the park. They all hang onto a rope as they do this. J. was distracted by seeing me en route, and Helen was waving wildly to get my attention. In the midst of the action, J. fell, but damn if he didn't hang onto that rope. I shouted "man down" to get the teacher's attention. She stopped the line and looked back. J. stood up, looked around, and he seemed to be thinking "I hold that rope all the time. I've never been drug along by it and nearly trampled by my peers. What the heck just happened?". All I could think of was, another genius. I hope I get to see this kid in 10 years to see what he's up to.

I have a lot of brilliant friends. I married a brilliant man. Surrounding myself with brilliant people has made life an absolute trip. I love the debates it brings. I love bouncing through ideas quickly until something interesting is hit upon. I love the pondering. I love the compromise and the thought provoking questions.

If I had to pick exactly one characteristic in a friend, I would choose brilliance. Every day.







10 comments:

  1. I look forward to our journey through November together! I agree that brilliant friends make a fabulous life. Thanks for being one of my brilliant friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant is good, but I've always been partial to clever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well good for Helen! I am pretty sure he knows she exists but I think she is the brilliant one!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good point, Susan. Clever can get you out of a lot of messes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now reading that description of J made me think of Connor, a little!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see that Helen has great taste already.
    Can't wait to hear more this month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm kind of with Susan ... I like brilliance but it has to have a little something else for me to be drawn to it ... a personality or quality so to speak (clever, humorous, even some arrogance). What I don't care for is brilliance combined with obnoxiousness, as neither they nor I learn a thing.

    ReplyDelete