Sunday, November 20, 2011

NaBloPoMo Advice Column - Day 20 - Never Be a Volunteer at a Street Show in New Orleans

I'm writing 30 thoughts in 30 days for NaBloPoMo. In no particular order, I'm giving you my worldview - as it comes up.

This is a piece of advice that I can proudly say I followed this past weekend.

A few years ago, Ed and I went to New Orleans with friends Jim and Kellee. At one point, we were in the French Quarter, in front of the big church there, and a man was preparing to tie himself up. This is an act that needs volunteers - and Kellee and I had drunk enough by this point (noon, maybe?) that we were more than happy to volunteer as assistants. Ed and Jim looked on telling us we were ridiculous and it was a terrible idea. What do they know, right?

Turns out - and I assure you this hurts to admit - Ed and Jim know a lot - at least on this particular issue.

There Kellee and I were, with a certifiably whacky guy telling us to tie the chains TIGHTER. And he was croaking it out, as if he could no longer breathe. Then, he told me where the chain cutters were and admonished me to not use them unless he had been lying there for a substantial amount of time and appeared to not be breathing.

What? My eyes bugged out of my head. No, if you show any signs of death, I'm chopping. We argued a bit, but I wasn't going to spend my night in the pokey over this. Kellee and I wound the dude up in chain after chain, pulled them tight, felt absolutely awful about it, and really, could barely continue. But...we had promised the guy we'd tie him up and we were trying very hard not to disappoint.

Kellee and I had to go and boil ourselves afterwards. But luckily, the man did not die, he escaped, and then we escaped. And for the rest of the trip, Ed and Jim mocked us mercilessly.

Yesterday, Ed and I were in the French Quarter, and I had the opportunity to volunteer to be in another street performer's show. But I resisted. I think Ed was a little surprised, but in the end, it was a good thing. No feeling icky afterwards and no mocking from Ed. I definitely recommend never volunteering at a street show in New Orleans.

Elaine

Day 1: Surround Yourself With Brilliant People (though my friend Susan makes a good point that clever is pretty good, too).
Day 2: Whatever, it works.
Day 3: Surround Yourself With Beauty
Day 4: When You Go Through Something New - Drag Someone With You
Day 5: No sweatpants.
Day 6: Embrace the Crazy
Day 7: Listen to Your Friends or Fight Old Fogey-dom. Get out there. Keep experiencing fun, new things.
Day 8: Don't Let Anyone Sell You Short
Day 9: Take a Lesson From Your Child
Day 10: Consume the best chocolate you can
Day 11: Help your neighbor.
Day 12: Take Breaks
Day 13: Establish a Realistic Rhythm
Day 14: Sometimes, you just have to ask.
Day 15: Loose Lips Sink Ships
Day 16: Stop Things from Going from Bad to Worse
Day 17: Understand the Price of Success
Day 18: Question Everything
Day 19: Drink Great Wine with Old Friends

1 comment:

  1. I have so many questions that I think will have to wait until I see you in person.

    ReplyDelete