Friday, November 18, 2011

NaBloPoMo Advice Column - Day 18 - Question Everything


Sending a child to school requires an enormous amount of trust. It also requires a parent to step back and decide how information from home will fit in with information provided by the schools. I adore Connor’s teacher for a million reasons. But, she’s confined to teach in the system she’s in – so let me be clear that the below isn’t a criticism of her, it’s a criticism of the entire education system.

Around Columbus Day, I had a child coming home telling me that Christopher Columbus discovered America. At this point, I have to decide – do I correct the little dude, or do I make his life easy and go along with his excitement?

It will surprise no one who knows me that the next sentence out of my mouth was “Connor – that is impossible. Did Mrs. H. mention that there were already people living here when Christopher Columbus and his wayward ship landed here”. Yes, yes she did. “So you see, it is not possible that Christopher Columbus discovered America.” I realize that I’ve now set in Connor’s mind the notion that his primary out-of-the-home educator is fallible. But I’ve hopefully taught him that you have to take in all the information, and make judgment calls.

My other response to situations such as these is to ask Connor questions. Does the evidence given support the statement he’s making? Or is it possible that something else is at play?

I never know how big of an impression I make until the following happens.

In a book about dinosaurs that Connor has been reading, there’s a passage about a particular dinosaur roaming in packs. We know this, the book portends, because many, many footprints have been found in the same area.

Connor’s response? Maybe that means there were dinosaurs traveling in packs. Maybe it means that one dinosaur just ran around a lot and made lots of lots of tracks on its own. Can I just remind you that Connor is 6? SIX! I used to say that language development was my favorite parenting phase, but I’m going to change that to developing critical thinking skills. This is going to be good.

So…take it from Connor. Question everything.

Elaine

1 comment: