Wednesday, November 23, 2011

NaBloPoMo Advice Column - Day 23 - Always Have a Dream

I'm writing 30 thoughts in 30 days for NaBloPoMo. In no particular order, I'm giving you my worldview - as it comes up.

Recently, I had new business cards printed. I had a small stack of old cards that I gifted to the kids. They were thrilled, of course. They set about to turning the cards into their own by flipping them over and drawing.

Connor started out be deciding he was a pet store owner. I was hoping this would serve as handwriting practice for the little dude, but he cheated.



As it turns out, one of my children’s dreams are a little more practical than the other one – surprising no one. And neither of my children dream of being an economist. What is wrong with them?

Connor? He's a police officer, firefighter, and pilot. Solid. I'm glad he got the little boy conformist message. (not really)



He’s also a garbage truck (driver) and a construcshin (construction worker). Bonus points to Connor for the big word, even if it isn’t spelled in a traditional manner. He's working hard at reading and writing and he's getting more adventurous of late.

Helen? Well, as it turns out, Helen would like to be a tour guide at the Washington Monument (pictured as a line below - the rest of the stuff is her name, in case you couldn't tell).


She's also a race car driver. See the four wheels?


Other plans include being a babysitter, a swim teacher, a pet store owner, and I'm really not sure what else.




After designing the cards, Connor made a business card printer.


I'm not sure I wholeheartedly endorse all of the career paths my children are laying out, but I do appreciate that it's fun to dream.

Elaine

Building a worldview:
Day 1: Surround Yourself With Brilliant People (though my friend Susan makes a good point that clever is pretty good, too).
Day 2: Whatever, it works.
Day 3: Surround Yourself With Beauty
Day 4: When You Go Through Something New - Drag Someone With You
Day 5: No sweatpants.
Day 6: Embrace the Crazy
Day 7: Listen to Your Friends or Fight Old Fogey-dom. Get out there. Keep experiencing fun, new things.
Day 8: Don't Let Anyone Sell You Short
Day 9: Take a Lesson From Your Child
Day 10: Consume the best chocolate you can
Day 11: Help your neighbor.
Day 12: Take Breaks
Day 13: Establish a Realistic Rhythm
Day 14: Sometimes, you just have to ask.
Day 15: Loose Lips Sink Ships
Day 16: Stop Things from Going from Bad to Worse
Day 17: Understand the Price of Success
Day 18: Question Everything
Day 19: Drink Great Wine with Old Friends
Day 20: Never Be a Volunteer at a Street Show in New Orleans
Day 21: Let Your Friends Bail You Out
Day 22: Turn Trash Into Treasure

3 comments: