Thursday, November 17, 2011

NaBloPoMo Advice Column - Day 17 - Understand the Price of Success

I'm writing 30 thoughts in 30 days for NaBloPoMo. In no particular order, I'm giving you my worldview. I draw the topics from things that come up the day I post, or the day or two before I post.


Before you start anything, I think it's important to understand the price of success.
 
I work in a very male dominated profession. I've been super lucky to have loads of mentors that helped me out along the way. It used to be that I'd meet high ranking women in my profession during bathroom breaks. We were, after all, a small crowd. I still remember when a woman who I admire a lot told me she thought my suit looked fantastic and later this turned into a somewhat productive work relationship.
 
Today, I'm at a conference. I walked into a line in the bathroom. The woman behind me, possibly the most respected woman in the field said "Wow! I guess this is the price of success. Looks good to me!"
 
Elaine
 
Building a worldview:
Day 1: Surround Yourself With Brilliant People (though my friend Susan makes a good point that clever is pretty good, too).
Day 2: Whatever, it works.
Day 3: Surround Yourself With Beauty
Day 4: When You Go Through Something New - Drag Someone With You
Day 5: No sweatpants.
Day 6: Embrace the Crazy
Day 7: Listen to Your Friends or Fight Old Fogey-dom. Get out there. Keep experiencing fun, new things.
Day 8: Don't Let Anyone Sell You Short
Day 9: Take a Lesson From Your Child
Day 10: Consume the best chocolate you can
Day 11: Help your neighbor.
Day 12: Take Breaks
Day 13: Establish a Realistic Rhythm
Day 14: Sometimes, you just have to ask.
Day 15: Loose Lips Sink Ships
Day 16: Stop Things from Going from Bad to Worse

2 comments:

  1. As someone else who has always worked in male dominated fields, all I can say is yes.

    ReplyDelete