Sunday, November 13, 2011

NaBloPoMo Advice Column - Day 13 - Establish a Realistic Rhythm

I'm writing 30 thoughts in 30 days for NaBloPoMo. In no particular order, I'm giving you my worldview. I draw the topics from things that come up the day I post, or the day or two before I post.

The best gift my mother ever gave me was showing me how to establish a rhythm in a household. I'm guessing it came so naturally to her, she neither worked at it nor knew she was doing it. Although there were a couple of tasks that slid regularly, almost everything got done every week, or as needed. For example, sheets were changed on Thursday, rooms were cleaned on Friday (or Saturday). Homework was finished before heading outside and bedtime was not to be missed. Laundry seemed to be a near daily task.

It's taken me a long time to get into my own groove. In part, I used to think that waiting until the last minute was efficient! It's when I got my best work done! After all, why bother washing today when you might be able to wait a week and do it then, although it would often mean wearing things I didn't want to wear, things that were slightly off-season, or things that simply weren't appropriate - just because that's what was clean.

I have finally figured out a system that gets everything done - and doesn't rely on the weekends to do it. It may have taken a while, but I finally realized that Ed and I are often gone on the weekends, so counting on that time to do a regular task, rather than an optional task, was a recipe for being behind. By the end of our weekend away, I'd be anxious about what didn't get done, and ultimately didn't enjoy being away as much as I should have enjoyed it.

It's also enabled me to build a great rhythm for Connor and Helen, which I credit for the almost never tantrums in our home, and seems to work in general. There are still a few tasks that need working in, and a few habits to change (though finally, after living out of my parents' home for 20 years, I have turned the corner and now make my bed daily), but mostly, things are getting done. The best reason I can recommend developing a rhythm for daily life is that one need only worry about a few tasks daily, rather than always having a task looming overhead. For example, Wednesday is laundry day in my house, Thursday is folding day. I don't worry about the laundry getting done - no matter how big the pile - any day except Wednesday. It's been really freeing!

And this weekend? It left the freedom to enjoy the heated cabins at Bull Run.

Connor carefully sets out a bunch of nuts to see if squirrels are still running around.

After a two mile hike for Connor and me (and a nap for Helen and Ed), it was time for art. The tortoise actually turned out pretty cool, with some nice layered colorwork on the back of the turtle.

Time to hang with Dad.

Quick! Pose with the cannons!

At first, walking with the Ranger during a tour was very interesting.

Later, it was boring, though it did yield a little time to weave blades of grass. Chip off the old block, that girl is.



Elaine

Building a worldview:
Day 1: Surround Yourself With Brilliant People (though my friend Susan makes a good point that clever is pretty good, too).
Day 2: Whatever, it works.
Day 3: Surround Yourself With Beauty
Day 4: When You Go Through Something New - Drag Someone With You
Day 5: No sweatpants.
Day 6: Embrace the Crazy
Day 7: Listen to Your Friends or Fight Old Fogey-dom. Get out there. Keep experiencing fun, new things.
Day 8: Don't Let Anyone Sell You Short
Day 9: Take a Lesson From Your Child
Day 10: Consume the best chocolate you can
Day 11: Help your neighbor.
Day 12: Take Breaks

1 comment:

  1. One day you'll be established enough to leave for the weekend with everyone's coats.
    (You knew I'd have to get the dig in somewhere, right?)

    ReplyDelete