Friday, November 11, 2011

NaBloPoMo Advice Column - Day 11 - Help Your Neighbor

I'm writing 30 thoughts in 30 days for NaBloPoMo. In no particular order, I'm giving you my worldview.

It's almost irrestibale not to pass along a piece of advice Connor gave me in the car today "don't join the military". His reasoning was sound, for sure, but since it's Veteran's Day, I'll take inspiration from my children and instead, today's piece of advice is to help your neighbor.

Helen and Connor love to tackle a mulch pile, so our neighbor came over to borrow a wheelbarrow last night, they wanted to know the purpose. And wow were they delighted to wake up this morning to see two piles of mulch still sitting across the street in the driveway.

Immediately after getting home from a playdate at the Botanical Gardens, they went to our shed and retrieved their shovels and wheelbarrows. They trounced across the street and let our neighbor know that they were ready to help. He smiled and told them he could use all they help they were ready to give.



They've been having a ball over there - and I must say, I do think they're more help than hindrance at this point.




Building a worldview:
Day 1: Surround Yourself With Brilliant People (though my friend Susan makes a good point that clever is pretty good, too).
Day 2: Whatever, it works.
Day 3: Surround Yourself With Beauty
Day 4: When You Go Through Something New - Drag Someone With You
Day 5: No sweatpants.
Day 6: Embrace the Crazy
Day 7: Listen to Your Friends or Fight Old Fogey-dom. Get out there. Keep experiencing fun, new things.
Day 8: Don't Let Anyone Sell You Short
Day 9: Take a Lesson From Your Child
Day 10: Consume the best chocolate you can

2 comments:

  1. still drinking chocolate milk
    I love Hellen's hair
    Laurence

    ReplyDelete