Monday, January 17, 2011

Taking Advantage of a 3-Day Weekend - And More Cupcakes!

As I sit reflecting on the events of the few days, it's not hard to realize why I'm exhausted.

Helen and I kicked off our weekend on Friday at Bittersweet Bakery in Alexandria, VA to check out some more cupcakes in the area. I had an expired coupon good for a dozen cupcakes, which I hadn't used on time because when I went to the store the last time (on the day the coupon expired) they were literally locking their doors 30 minutes early and had NO CUPCAKES. I tapped on the glass and the guy locking up told me they had nothing for me, but said if I came back anytime before January 15, they'd honor the coupon.

So...on January 14 (apparently procrastinating is my theme with this bakery), I presented my coupon only to have them tell me it was expired. Yes, I realized that. So they told me they'd give me six - which wasn't actually a deal since I had paid half-price for a dozen to get the coupon. So I told them, no, I want a dozen. And then I explained my story, and eventually the line was long enough that they gave me my cupcakes. Helen was excited to go to the bakery because we've been going to the coffee shop on Friday mornings during the time between when we drop Connor off at his class and when Helen's class begins. She adores the coffee shop, but was very excited to do "that thumbs up thumbs down thing again". (The method by which we rate cupcakes in this house. And let me assure you, though it's been since August that we played this game, there have been many, many cupcakes consumed since then.)

Saturday, I took the kids swimming while Ed primed and put much of a first coat of paint in our bedroom. No photos from this event, because I was the only adult and I'm not so irresponsible as to leave my kids to fend for themselves in a crowded pool when one of them cannot actually swim yet (though she thinks she can - which actually increases the danger factor a bit).

Sunday, we went ice skating. Nobody was excited about this except Connor. But, Ed had told him we'd go, so we went. And you know what? We had a blast. The ice skating rink at Pentagon Row was a ball. Connor and Helen cruised around with buckets in front of them, along with some assists from parents. My friend Laurie had recommended this place earlier. She was totally right. They had teeny-tiny skates for rent and the skates had double blades, making them A LOT easier for kids to control. I wouldn't have minded a pair for myself, actually, but instead I just borrowed a helmet and crossed my fingers.



I helped Helen, knowing my back would pay. She prefers to go fast!

By the end, Connor could actually skate just loosely holding one of my hands.

Even Helen could get around a bit on her own, though she kept getting stuck in the slightest of bumps on the ice.

Monday was our big ski day. We headed out to Ski Liberty to use up part of a gift certificate that Ed's parents gave us for Christmas. On the way, my back started hurting. I figured this was payback for Sunday, and didn't think much of it. I had no idea that in a couple of hours, I would be completely useless to Ed as he herded Connor and Helen both down the mountain - even using the chair lift or "swing" as Helen called it! I spent my time being completely incapacitated by some bizarre, yet relatively quick, illness. I'm blaming Dunkin' Donuts and some sort of cross contamination, but I have no proof of this. It was an ugly way to end the weekend, but now I appear nearly completely recovered, about 10 hours after the initial attack.

Off to bed to get ready for the work week. I'll be sleeping in a now beautiful bedroom, thanks to Ed and his sweet paint job. I was mostly moral support in the effort, painting a few edges where needed. I consider it warm-up for the bathroom redo!

Elaine

3 comments:

  1. What a super recommendation on the Pentagon Row skating and double blades and tiny skates! Very very cool info for parents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought of your cupcake reviews when I stopped in a new cupcake place last week and got an afternoon snack. If you ever make it out to Fairfax, try Cupcakes Actually in Fairfax Corner (right near the Ffx Gov't Center). I thought they were better than Georgetown Cupcake (though not as many flavor selections).

    ReplyDelete
  3. De in D.C. - Thanks for the note! I will definitely try anything that anyone says is even close to Georgetown Cupcake! I'm putting in my list now!

    ReplyDelete