Friday, January 14, 2011

Homemade Friday: Week 2

Connor's beloved assistant teacher will be leaving school when her baby is born in a few weeks. For almost two years now, she's sat at snack table with him and tried to figure out how to get him to eat a snack other than rice and fruit. She introduced Connor to the idea of putting salt on rice, and he came home a few months ago to tell me it gave the rice a "very interesting flavor" and asked if we could try it at home. He now salts his rice just like Mrs. G. does. She's put up with his claims of being allergic to whatever food is served that he "doesn't care for" and she's taught him to turn down those foods very politely. Which is good, because I don't want my friend Sher to be writing about him on her blog some day! She's also turned the rope as he tried to learn to jump it, hugged him when he needed it, and she's sat back and let him imagine incredible worlds.

Connor is so lucky to have had her as a teacher, and last year when his main teacher's wife had a baby, she was the perfect fill-in for his very brief absence. She's kind, she seems to be always happy, she has incredible handwork skills, she's super interesting, and her patience is something I admire. In short, she's the kind of person I think most of us want our children interacting with. For Christmas, I knit up this little baby hat, which I hope her baby enjoys wearing as much as I enjoyed making.


Elaine

1 comment: