Friday, January 28, 2011

Homemade Friday: Week 3

I realize this is actually week 4, but last week I was busy complaining about being in the hospital for an enormous kidney stone, that is now, thankfully - out of my body. Fortunately for you, I cannot share a photo of my impressive sized stone because in order to remove it, the doctor had to play Asteroids on my insides and pulverize the sucker. (And, for those keeping score, trying to pass a 7mm kidney stone is like having back labor for a week and making little to no progress and not getting a baby at the end, making it far inferior to the pain that goes with birthing a baby. So, I'm calling it now. The pain from kidney stones is worse than the pain from labor - at least one this large. I'm still thinking if it were smaller I could've passed it without having to go under general anasthesia. I hope I never have to find out though.)

Anyway, this week I'm sharing four wee people that I made for Helen and Connor, along with instructions for making Wee People - mostly because I looked all over for instructions and couldn't find them easily.


On the first and third days of Christmas, I gifted Connor and Helen each a "wee person". I purchased a few of these at the school's annual Fall Festival a couple of years ago, but then two of them got lost in the great backpack caper of 2009. So, I'd been meaning to replace them for a while.

I made these wee people by bending a pipe cleaner into the shape of a body. For two of them, I then wound embroidery floss around the pipe cleaner which actually takes an enormous amount of time and patience. Plus, it's hard to cover up all that fuzz from the pipe cleaner. For the next two, I took a shortcut and rather than winding floss around the pipe cleaner, I simply found some beads that could serve as hands and feet and glued them on.

The heads are made from round wooden beads I found in the craft store that have holes drilled through  them. Simply pop the beads onto the neck and then find some sort of head covering so the wee person doesn't look as if it has a hole in it's head. After completing the basic form, I then cut out felt clothes, sewed them on and voila! Here are four wee people enjoying residence in a little fairy house the kids play with.


Elaine

No comments:

Post a Comment