Thursday, January 6, 2011

Homemade Friday: Red Pocket Doll

My crafting hands have been busy indeed, inspired in part by deciding to celebrate the 12 Days of Christmas (from Christmas to Epiphany, for those wondering) with Connor and Helen. For several of the days, I made small toys for them. I'll be featuring these and other handwork items every Friday until I get bored, or run out of things I've made.

First up: On the 10th Day of Christmas, I gave Helen a kit to make two "pocket dolls". I thought they would take about an hour each to make, but that was a ridiculous estimate as the first one probably took me 2.5 hours to complete. I was slowed down a bit by a recent sewing injury, which involved Helen stabbing me with a needle as she sewed her pink bear a blanket. That stab then ended in some split skin on the tip of my thumb, which I kept re-injuring with my recent sewing binge.


Helen is sleeping with her baby now. I'm hoping she's forgotten about the second one, because I'd like to make something else next.

Elaine

2 comments:

  1. First of all, I'm kind of dying over the concept of a sewing injury. Especially a child-caused one. This is mainly funny because I don't sew, have never sewed, and probably will never sew, so I feel very safe and smug in the knowledge that this type of injury will not befall me. (Of course, I will somehow stab myself with a needle tomorrow.)

    Second of all, that doll is SO cool! I bet Helen loves that thing for eons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who knew that sewing could be so dangerous !

    ReplyDelete