Friday, March 4, 2011

Cupcake Wars: Fluffy Thoughts Cakes

Why is a cupcake my favorite dessert to share with my kids.

1. We can all get different flavors. If I get a box of cookies, or I bake a dessert, we're all eating the same thing, and that means we head to the lowest common denominator, which is not always that tasty for me. Plus, since Helen prefers things with chocolate, and Connor prefers things with vanilla - someone ends up disappointed.

2. I realize that I almost never bake cupcakes, making having them a real treat for me. I have baked probably hundreds of dozens of cookies in my life. I spent a year making cheesecakes of all sorts (that was a New Year's resolution one year, inspired by a cheesecake edition of Martha Stewart magazine), and the year leading up to my wedding, I must have baked 50 cakes. You see, when I learned how expensive cakes were, I decided to attend Arlington County Community classes and learn to bake one myself. I've since baked a few wedding cakes for friends, including this one. I do not regret that decision. I also have made more truffles than I care to count, but have given up that hobby since it's a 3 night process that requires little hands to keep out. It's a shame, since I finally have a kitchen large enough to perform the task relatively efficiently, unlike when I was actually making truffles regularly.

3. There's a clear end point. With larger desserts, or smaller desserts, it's never clear what a "serving" ought to be. First slice of cake was slim? Have another. Your handful of M&M's was too big? Eat 'em anyway. A cupcake comes perfectly proportioned - unless it's a jumbo sized cupcake, and then it's really too big.

4. Endless possibilities. I love that every story we've visited has the standards - vanilla, chocolate, red velvet - but also something fun. I'm particularly partial to citrus flavored cupcakes and dark chocolate.

Simply put, I love them.



A couple of Fridays ago, I visited Fluffy Thoughts Cakes. I liked this store for several reasons. For starters, they have mini cupcakes. When feeding kids, this is a huge plus. Also, they have some fun flavors, which I knew from checking out their flavor map, though I had no idea what would actually be available the day I went because at the time, their website was incomprehensible. It's gotten better in the past couple of weeks, but it's still confusing. What I did not anticipate is that they have cheesecake cupcakes. Perfect cheesecake cupcakes. They also have cupcake pops. In case you're not familiar, this is a marshmallow sized piece of cake, frosted, and then dipped in chocolate. The kids loved them. I was hoping they wouldn't so that I would get to try them.



The regular cupcakes had a bit too much of a powdered sugar taste to me in the frosting, but the cheesecakes were nothing short of heavenly. I'll go back for these, and the kids will be happy to devour any cake pop that comes near them.

High middle of the pack for this shop - unless you stick with the cheesecake, and then it's top of the pack all the way.

Elaine

1 comment:

  1. I love this post. The information we get about the underbelly of the cupcake world is great. Now I just have to find some time to get to some of these places.
    -M

    ReplyDelete