Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Cupcake Wars: Curbside Cupcakes - a Good Reason to Get Out of the Office on a Nice Day

Sadly, I have no photos of "Pinky 1" or "Pinky 2". I also have no photos of Connor or Helen giving them the thumbs up or down. Why? Because a cupcake from Curbside Cupcakes has never made it home. The cupcake truck comes near my downtown office regularly, and if it's a nice day and one of my favorites is on the menu, I sometimes grab me one (favorites = lemon, the black cupcake, and key lime).

At this point, I have eaten enough cupcakes from this truck that my frequent shopper card is full, and my next one is free.

I know some people have the theory that you start with the basics (chocolate, vanilla, and red velvet) and if those are good, you move to the more exotic flavors. That theory won't serve you well with this outfit. I found their basic flavors to be fairly mundane, but I like their more exotic flavors - especially the black cupcake (dark chocolate cake, dark chocolate icing) quite a bit.

They just started serving in Virginia, and often their here on Friday. A big goal of mine is to track the van down when Connor and Helen get out of school at noon. Helen will fall in love instantly (pink truck!) and Connor will think it's a hoot to have a roving cupcake van.

I love the idea of this place. However, I recently became very depressed about this whole cupcake project. I thought it would be possible to eventually hit every cupcake store in the DC metro area. As it turns out, I'm on the verge of admitting it's just not possible. Most recently, I discovered there were actually THREE DIFFERENT cupcake trucks roaming around DC. Seriously?!? My task now seems impossible. I'm not even sure I'll hit all the trucks! I've never even seen a Sweetbites or Sidewalk Sweetsations truck, and I'm almost afraid to google if there are even more.

Help me! I need to get over this obsession with all the DC Cupcakes and find a new hobby (or maybe I just need to pick an end date, and whatever hasn't been tasted by then just won't get tasted). Any ideas (besides the sock knitting)?

Curbside Cupcakes - high middle of the pack, particularly if you go beyond the basics.

Elaine

1 comment: