Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Good Sleeper Award

Yesterday, Helen looked me right in the eye, and very seriously said "I hope that you can sleep through the whole night tonight, and in the morning I can give you a good-sleeper award". To say I was taken aback, would be an understatement. While it is true that I am no longer the sleeper I once was, I wouldn't blame that condition solely on myself.

I responded by telling her that I, too, hoped I could get the good sleeper award (the provenance of which, I am unclear about). I then told her that in order for me to be eligible for the good sleeper award, I would need her help. You see, the previous night she had been up crying (for no apparent reason) at 2:00 in the morning. I lay down with her to help her go to sleep, only to be wrestled back down whenever I tried to make my escape from her rather crowded bed. The exercise exhausted me.

This morning, after both Helen and Connor had managed to sleep through the entire night without calling for me, I did, indeed, manage to get the coveted good sleeper award. I was more grateful for the sleep than the prize, but I appreciated them both.

Elaine

1 comment:

  1. Interesting award . . . not sure our house would be eligible yet ;)

    ReplyDelete