Thursday, May 26, 2011

Happy (Late) Birthday to Me

Mid-may, I completed another year on this earth. Amen and hallelujah. It was a good year, for sure. A coincidence of availability meant some friends and I spent the weekend at a spa in St. Michaels, MD. Despite the fact that no townies were picked up, I believe a good weekend was had by all. And yes, we did try, including my requesting the band at the saloon to play Lynyrd Skynard which they happily did - and my goodness yes I sang right along. Loudly. That was for you, Ellen.

My friends humored me by not abandoning me in that same saloon the following night when, after drinking some fantastic wine, I was walking slower than them, and was pulled by some greater force into the bar. I could not help it. I had to dance to a little Tom Petty. I mean, you just can't get enough of that. Once my friends noticed I was being pulled into this saloon, almost completely against my will, they turned around and decided that yes, a few more rounds and a terrible band were definitely cause for extending our already late night. I knew they wanted to. They just weren't ready to admit it. Until I forced them to.

Little did I know that back home, life was pretty exciting as well. I won't claim to have any knowledge of Ed and the kids rocking out late at night, but I do happen to know that they made me a cake. And not just any cake. They made me this. From scratch.



And yes, I did love it. And Connor did too, because every night since I got home he's had a piece for snack. We've almost eaten the whole thing. He's going to miss it when it's gone.

Thank you, loves of my life. You definitely surprised me.

Elaine

3 comments:

  1. happy birthday again, glad you had a good time
    What a sumptuous birthday cake you got.
    Laurence - sorry could not get the right profile

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this quote: "a few more rounds and a terrible band were definitely cause for extending our already late night" and I am so glad you sang to some Skynard. Any chance it was "Sweet Home Alabama" ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking I need to have a few more terrible cover bands in my immediate future.

    ReplyDelete