Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Ed versus the Builder

A few weeks ago, I started ripping cabinets off the wall of our gross bathroom. Then Ed got serious about demolition and removed the toilet, ripped out the old gross linoleum floor, only to discover another layer of plywood and another layer of even older, grosser, linoleum. I guess you can never have enough of those things.

Connor wasn't sure ripping the floor out was was a good idea.




Ed then spent several evenings watching YouTube videos about laying tile. That is completely annoying if you're me. I like them as much as Ed probably likes it when I watch YouTube videos on how to do the Kirtchener stitch. Regardless, I guess they're useful. Ed also went to the local tile store to talk about tiling with a guy there and take a class.

I decided that I was more management for this portion of the project, so the kids and I headed off to Claude Moore Colonial Farm. (Shhh...I bought lots of supplies for more natural dyeing!) We saw some cows, chickens, and pigs. Then we ate lunch and Ed joined us, but only for a couple of hours. He had work to do.



Next, Ed did this to the bathroom. I wondered when the part where the bathroom looks good was going to happen. Ed probably wondered when the part where he would get some help was going to happen. I already knew the answer to that last question.



 Next, Ed painted. Finally, he had a little help.

Then, he laid down the sub-floor. Isn't it obvious that he loves his work?

The floor seemed to be in good hands, so I took his staff to National Train Day.



We had a lot of fun.

Ed learned to use a wet saw. I'm not sure that was very fun, although Helen seemed happy enough to learn the trade when we came back home.





And then construction on our screened in porch started, and the race to finish began. Stay tuned and place your bets now.

Elaine

No comments:

Post a Comment