Friday, February 4, 2011

Homemade Friday: Cheerios Flowers! (Maybe better than cupcakes!)

Apparently, Punxsutawney Phil did not see his shadow on Wednesday. And as much as I love the snow, I'm happy about that news. I'm ready for Spring. Spring is the season that bursts forth with promise - from the first crocus that dares push through the ground to the inevitable weeds that take hold as I figure out what new growth is wanted and what should be pruned from my garden post haste!

A few days ago, after Connor and Helen had exhausted themselves sledding, I decided it was treat time. And, feeling bold, I decided to share with them a food combination I love - Cheerios and chocolate. Seriously. Try sprinkling a few chocolate chips on your Cheerios some morning. You won't be disappointed. I promise.

I wasn't quite ready to introduce chocolate chips as a breakfast food, so instead I went to the craft supply store and bought some pink chocolate and some little sticks like what you find on lollipops. I combined these items with Cheerios and made a springtime flower - just ready for the eating!


Here's the skinny on how to make this simple and delicious treat on your own. I am considering serving these as treats at our annual egg hunt this year.

Step 1. Acquire ingredients. You'll need Cheerios, chocolate, and serving sticks.

Use any kind of chocolate you like. I chose pink chocolate from the craft store because it made me think of spring. It comes in all sorts of colors - and you can also just get white chocolate chips from the store and add color or decorate with sprinkles.



Step 2. Place parchment paper or wax paper on a cookie sheet.

Step 3. Melt about 4 ounces of chocolate either in a double boiler on the stove or in the microwave. If you use a microwave, put the chocolate in a bowl for about 30 seconds, stir, repeat until melted.

Step 4. Pour Cheerios into melted chocolate. Stir.


Step 5. Put a little bit of the melted chocolate / Cheerios mixture on a tray, add a stick, and then add more of the Cheerios mixture. My kids helped put the Cheerios mixture on the tray, added sticks, and also tasted the product!



Step 6. Put in freezer for a few minutes so the flowers can harden.

Step 7. Enjoy!

After the flowers came out of the freezer, the critics sampled the Cheerios flowers and pondered their ratings.


It didn't take long for the treats to earn applause and two thumbs up!


If I use these for treats at our annual egg hunt, I'm going to display them in a basket with a few eggs. I'm also going to use both small and tall sticks, so I get a little more height into the display. My thought is that each child can pluck a flower when it's time for treats. I think they'll be less messy than cupcakes, but just as yummy!


Elaine

Disclosure: As a member of the Cheerios blogger circle, I was given two boxes of Cheerios, some gardening tools, and some games and asked to create a breakfast or springtime experience with Cheerios. I wanted to make a treat the kids (and I) would love and that I could use at a future kids' party.

No comments:

Post a Comment