Monday, September 20, 2010

Helen's First Day of School...and My First Call to AA

Yes, in fact, I do have a daughter. And yes, she did finally get to start school. And yes, I fully intended to blog about it. But then, well, life got in the way. Between helping out with the school silent auction, trying to make sense of some numbers at work - that do not make sense!, traveling to Boston to visit two of my elementary school friends, finishing my summer sweater that I started before Connor was born, and making several magic wands with dragons on them for the fall festival, the blog has fallen to the wayside. But that doesn't mean starting school wasn't special.
 

As you might recall, Helen was not nuts about being in the parent-child class. She wanted to be in Connor's class. In fact, our agreement before class started was that she could pretend I wasn't there. I even told the teacher, just in case Helen went through with her plan of ignoring me.

As it turns out, Helen had a delightful first day, and most definitely did claim me as her mom. When we got to class, she was happy to put on an apron, and downright thrilled when she realized that she could pick up a knife and cut the apple slice in front of her into small pieces for the day's snack of apple crisp. Soon enough, she checked off that accomplishment and went to play in the other part of the room.

This is where things went South...for me.

Helen found a little mug in the play area, plopped an apple in it, and happily rushed to my side practically shouting "Look, Mommy! I made you APPLE BEER!". I smiled, told her it was a little early for that, and suggested that it was perhaps apple lemonade, trying to get her mind elsewhere. OK, apple lemonade. That was fine.

No sooner had I sipped my apple lemonade, than Helen returned with an egg cup with an apple in it, proudly proclaiming she had made me some apple wine! Seriously. At this point, I turned to the woman next to me and explained "My husband brews beer. Sometimes my kids are interested in it.". The woman was totally nice. So I invited her to our Oktoberfest party, because that is definitely the best way to convince her we're not a beer and wine guzzling house.

Or not.

Elaine

2 comments:

  1. This. is. awesome. I totally hope that some of the other parents from the class are e-mailing each other and wondering if someone needs to have "a talk" with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how wonderful (ah ah), your reputation is made my dear.
    I am glad that Helen enjoyed her 1st day.

    ReplyDelete