Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Knowing Your Audience


My friend, Ellen, once referred to wearing no underpants as "going cowboy". I loved the phrase, and adopted it instantly. Both of my children did, too.

Connor not only adopted the phrase, but now that he dresses himself, he has also adopted the practice. I really don't know how I feel about it, though I have extracted the promise that some form of covering must be on whenever he sits on furniture.

Call me Charlotte.*

This evening, we were driving over to a friend's house. On the way, Ed mentioned to me that our young lad had been going commando lately. So I said "Hey Connor, why don't you wear underpants anymore?".

Connor got an impish grin on his face and replied "because it's efficient". Followed by "I don't have to waste so much time putting all those layers of clothes on".

Any other reason might not have held much sway. But this one, I liked. I smiled a knowing smile as I glanced at Ed and replied "you're going to fit in just fine in this family".

Elaine

*Bonus point for those who caught this Sex and the City reference.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, the mind of a five year old. So efficient !

    You probably won't believe this, but I learned that phrase from my husband. The quiet, seemingly mild-mannered guy ? Yes, him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well thought Connor. You have to admit that he is quite right.

    ReplyDelete