Thursday, September 16, 2010

Correlation vs. Causation

In my line of work, we often talk about correlations and causations. In the social sciences, the latter are almost impossible to prove. And often, people mistake the former for the latter. It's easy to do. A few nights ago, Ed and I were discussing this concept in relationship to Connor and school.

  • Connor's school does not teach him how to count. (Though it would in first grade, with a very different approach to traditional education.)
  • Connor's school does not teach him how to write. (He would do that in second grade. And then he would be tasked with writing all of his own text books.)
  • Connor's school does not teach him how to read. (Also a second grade skill.)

  • Connor's school encourages him to play with others outside and inside, in the most beautiful setting imaginable. (Well, except for the playground at Acorn Hill which is absolutely to die for. Seriously. If that school were anywhere close to me, my children would be attending it.)
  • Connor's school takes an experiential approach to education, and believes that while Connor is playing with that other child on the playground, they are both learning to negotiate the world. They are both drawn to things that interest them. They are being instilled with the foundation for a lifelong love of learning.
  • Connor's school focuses on the whole child - heart, hands, head. No standardized test could possibly capture what he's learning.
  • Connor's school has movement classes as part of the curriculum.
The other day, I heard Connor count by 2s beyond 100, and then he counted by 5s and 10s. He has counted by 3s on other occasions. (And yes, I am aware that people with OCD like to count!) If Connor were in a traditional school, I would've done a double take when I heard this and exclaimed about how great that school of his was, teaching him these early math skills. I would've thought his teacher was nothing short of brilliant. I mean, seriously, a few days in Kindergarten and that's what happens! I would've mistakenly attributed correlation to causation.

See, it's an easy mistake.

Elaine

2 comments:

  1. What I love about this is that I think it shows that Connor's brain is developmentally ready for this activity. I think (although I'm not 100% sure) that when a child's brain is developmentally ready for something and if the child doesn't have extenuating issues, they tend to "pick it up" rather easily.

    But, I'm curious if you have an opinion on where he did pick it up ? Even if it wasn't his school teaching it to him, the numbers must have come from somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ed and I are both math geeks. Connor likes patterns. He figures out counting in multiples by looking at his fingers, or sometimes just thinking about it.

    The natural world is full of "sets" of things, and I suspect he saw one once, dissected it, and then put it back together.

    ReplyDelete