Sunday, August 29, 2010

My CSA is Causing Me to Sneak Around

For the past several years, our household has participated in Community Supported Agriculture - CSA. First, we were members of Great Country Farms and for the past two years, we've been members of Waterpenny Farm. Over the years, we've had a lot of fun visiting our CSA farm.

Our current farm plants loads and loads of tomatoes - and we love that. It's among the reasons we're at Waterpenny this year rather than at GCF (last year, we had half-shares in both farms). The produce is fantastic at Waterpenny, it is exactly the kind of family farm I want to support, but it has one problem. Besides tomatoes, their second bumper crop is squash. I don't actually like squash. I eat it every week because I like throwing food away even less than I like eating squash.

A few weeks ago, I decided to turn that squash into zucchini bread, except I knew it would not be well received labeled that, so I called it cinnamon bread instead. Connor and Helen love cinnamon bread, particularly Connor. Last time I made it, I just dumped the squash in without Connor taking note. Today, Connor and Helen were both helping me when I added the "secret ingredient". I had pureed the squash a couple of days before, and Connor and Helen definitely did not recognize it. I tossed it in the batter, telling them it was time for the secret ingredient to be added.

As expected, Connor is dying to know what the secret ingredient is. But I'm scared to tell him, because I'm pretty sure as soon as I do, I'll be eating those three dozen frozen muffins and two loaves of bread by myself, since Connor will surely reject them.

And so it is, that I am grateful to have used up all of this week's and last week's squash, but I'm feeling very guilty about sneaking it in on Connor, when he would most definitely object.

I'm refusing to tell him what it is for the good of the Earth, I swear.

Elaine

No comments:

Post a Comment