Saturday, July 17, 2010

This is Not the Story You Think It Is - by Laura Munson

I think everyone I know in DC participates in a book club. I tried this, once, but it didn't pan out. You see, only about half the people in the group ever read the book, and our discussions centered around what book we'd (fail to) read next, gossip in our lives, and food. None of these are bad, but as one might guess, having a book club where many people don't even pretend to read the book is not a formula for success.

Not to be dissuaded by history, I'm trying it again. I am now a member of the From Left to Write book club. This book club formed out of the former SVMoms book club. And I had just decided to join when the site folded. Bummer for me. But, Linsey Krolik, former editor of the SVMoms book club didn't skip a beat in creating the new book. Yay!

First up: "This is Not the Story You Think It Is: A Season of Unlikely Happiness", by Laura Munson.

Throughout this book, a comment my friend Helen made to me kept ringing in my head. Babies are not good for marriages. (And you can take that to the bank - and anytime you see a couple struggling and thinking a baby will solve it, think about her words!) I used to think mine was the only one whose home was disrupted by the presence of an infant. But then one day, Helen and I were sitting around and I was probably telling her that never in my marriage had I wanted to divorce Ed, except for the two times I've had an infant living in my home, and she agreed. And it was as if someone had finally turned a very bright light onto what was then, probably a very dark corner.

You see, some marriages fail. I get that. In fact, some seem destined for failure moments after they form. Others fail leaving friends in utter shock, wondering what could possibly have happened to that perfect couple. If my own ever fails, I hope it falls into the latter category. I've been witness to both of endings to a marriage. But in this book, when Laura Munson's husband announces that he's not sure he can love her, she simply doesn't buy it. She doesn't buy it in the same way I don't buy it when Helen announces "I don't want to [insert any fun activity we've done in the past two months, when her contrary phase has been in full force]". Rather than running the other way, which is what I might have encouraged her to do years before I had children, Munson decided to stick with her husband, putting up with all manner of strange behaviors, to see what would happen in the end. Because deep down, she considered hers a successful marriage - one between partners. This act of standing by requires an absolute commitment to living in the moment.

And that same commitment to live in the moment is the commitment I felt I had to adopt during sleepless nights with an infant, when both Ed and I were giving more to the upkeep of our home than we had ever before. And some days, it felt like only that precious baby whom we both adored was able to melt my heart, and remind me why I adored Ed. Who else would voluntarily wake-up, walk out to his struggling wife and tired baby and know to intervene? Who else would know just the right time to take the baby, and just the right time to let me and that baby forget anyone else existed? Who else could be a rock amidst the turmoil?We could've given up at some point, but we waited out the really tough time, until the wonderful moments strung themselves together and started to dominate, rather than dwelling on the crap.

Here's a story about a woman whose husband is going through a midlife crisis, brought on by job stress, money problems, and a general dissatisfaction in life. And for whatever reason, something deep down tells her to wait it out, by living in the moment rather than dwelling on an already completed past or an uncertain future. It served as a great reminder of my past when I had infants in the house, and today, when living in the moment can provide such absolute joy. Because as much as I worry about next year, ultimately today is what matters. And right now, things seem good.

Elaine

You can read other book club members' reactions to this book here.

Although many members of the book club received a free copy of this book, I borrowed the copy I read from the Arlington County Public Library.

7 comments:

  1. thank you for mentioning it.I will read it.

    I do know that no other man can love my children as much their father can, that non one can smooth their tears and console them when I can't and when my patience is running low.
    Having recently lost my dad, I do know how important and BIG the image of a dad is in the life of a child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes you just have to wait it out, right? I know what you mean about babies not being good for marriages. There is so much more stress and it comes on strong and sudden and lasts for....well, a while...forever? No, it gets better. At the beginning, it is hard to see that.

    Great post, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waiting any tough situation out is usually better than going with your initial gut reaction. I've never really thought about babies being a dividing element to a marriage however. You may be on to something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you've hit on one of the essential truths in life..."Babies are not good for marriages," perhaps they are a test of their strength?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Sky Princess - how true! Being a somewhat impulsive person by nature, I am always finding myself saying "OK, relax, think this through". As much as children provide an incentive to stay together and stick with a marriage, wow did I find babies stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Melissa - that's definitely a more positive spin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for reading my book, your take on it is poignant. It's so true that once babies enter the picture, commitment to marriage is both tested and cemented. I'm glad my book was able to inspire such a great discussion!

    ReplyDelete