Friday, July 30, 2010

Finally Hitting the Mark: Cakelove

I stated from the beginning, I'm a Cakelove gal. I used to stop at the U Street store on my way to my Thursday pottery class. I loved it - every time. I also like the story behind the bakery. Basically, a lawyer decided to quit his job because he knew he wasn't doing what he loved. What he loved to do was bake, so he opened a bakery. I also love this bakery's cookbook, which I borrowed from the library before Connor's last birthday party, and neither I, nor my guests, were disappointed. It was the best vanilla filling I have ever made. Even better than Sylvia Weinstock's!

So it was with great excitement that I took Helen and Connor to Cakelove last Friday - and actually, this Friday as well. Last Friday, we had a swim date with our friend David, so I figured that was as good an excuse as any to buy cupcakes. Plus, I had a coupon where I could receive $40 of cupcakes for $20. In Cakelove world, that amounts to a baker's dozen.


We started out selecting six - one for each person in my crew, plus one for Marya and David. If Baby Ari, who is not a baby at all anymore was around, we'd have one for him too. Then, I figured what the heck, might as well go hog wild, and use the coupon. We went all out. We purchased vanilla-vanilla, molten chocolate, lime on chocolate, lemon something or other, cookies-and-cream, strawberry on chocolate, and probably more, though I'm not recalling what at this point. As the cupcakes were loaded, Connor literally cheered. (Ignore that Yankees hat, a very unfortunate incident involving Ed driving the car off with the children's usual hats on the roof of the car happened a few days before this photo was taken. Luckily, I found one of the hats on my way to yoga earlier this week and Ed found the other when we went biking, figuring the two hats must be somewhat near each other.)


We visited the Shirlington location, which has a really cool fountain outside. Helen nearly fell into the fountain - but managed to balance herself while I prepared to photograph the plunge, which didn't ever happen.


The sun was beating down on our cupcakes, so by the time we went to consume them they were a bit melty. That's what real butter does, my friends, and that's why these cupcakes are so good.



And now, hold the phone, drop whatever you have in your hands and sit down. Helen, my lovely darling who has steadfastly given EVERY OTHER CUPCAKE SHE HAS EATEN TWO THUMBS DOWN, gave her molten lava cupcake TWO THUMBS UP!


And even though she typically leaves at least half her cupcake behind for another day, she gobbled down every, last, crumb. Well, except for the ones that were smothered all over her face, which I think I wiped off with a napkin, but maybe they're just in the bottom of Marya's pool now.

Connor and David followed suit with their ratings, and I love how David seems to know something that no one else does. He had a molten chocolate cupcake as well. Clearly, there's something special about these cupcakes.


Finally, a perfect score. I'm moving Cakelove to the top of the rankings immediately! Breaking through the stone wall of Helen's downward pointed thumbs is not to be taken lightly.

Week whose counting anymore?: Cakelove (Arlington, VA)
Week 1: Georgetown Cupcake (Washington, DC)
Week 3.2: Daddy Cakes (Topeka, KS)
Week 2: Bakeshop in Clarendon (Arlington, VA)
Week 3: Smallcakes (Overland Park, KS)
Week 4: Woodmor Pastry Shop (Silver Spring, MD)
Week 5: Sugarbakers

Not rated: friends' bday parties and cupcakes gifted from Anna

1 comment:

  1. Net time you are back in KC Cupcqake Ala Mode!!!

    ReplyDelete