Saturday, July 10, 2010

First Full-Length Musical - MARY POPPINS - = Big Hit!

I love theatre - musical theatre in particular. In fact, in a not so well thought out move in 1991, I didn't apply to many colleges because I was certain my parents would change their minds and pony up the bucks to send me to the American Musical and Dramatic Academy rather than the traditional college they thought would more appropriately prepare me for life after high school. They didn't. And so rather than being a Broadway star today, I'm working at a think tank, paying my bills. I suspect I'll feel the same way when my children come to me and let me know of their well thought out plans to change the world through song and dance.

Ed is willing to be my theatrical buddy occasionally, and has seen a fair number of musicals with me, but he's also slept through a fair number, which always makes me nuts. I like to elbow him and tell him "that's an awfully expensive nap you're taking". His general reaction to shows is that they are "about an hour too long".

Connor, however, shares my love for theatre. And we've been to a lot of productions over the past three years, including Jungle Book, as adapted by my friend April Dawn Gladu. We went to see this when I was just a few days shy of giving birth to Helen and there was almost no lap for Connor to sit in. He was totally a trooper, even though he was well under the recommended age for that show.

We're regulars over at Adventure Theatre and find ourselves at Classika quite often. But today? Today was our biggest show ever. We went to see Mary Poppins at the Kennedy Center - which will play until August 22. Connor was mesmerized. The moment we walked into the Hall of Nations, he was completely impressed. He knew right away we were in a special place. We've been to the Kennedy Center before for their Millenium Stage, but it's been a while, and it was crowded, and I think he just didn't take in how enormous the place was back then. This time, though, he was impressed.

Walking into the theatre sealed the deal for him. The lights, the hugeness of it all, even the soft chairs that could fold a little dude like him up for good...everything was great. And from the moment the lights went down, he sat on my lap loving it, mouth wide open, asking the occasional "how did they do that?".


He had no trouble following all of the songs, he thought having kids in the show was very cool. And Mary? She might be the best babysitter ever. He did, however, point out to me that statues can't actually dance like they did on stage. He knew that was just pretend. Connor told me at the break that he wanted to be my theatre buddy. He told me he loved theatre just like me. And though I'm not sure the show is recommended for children age 4, he definitely got it and sat through it absorbed until about 20 minutes remained in the show (at which point he asked when it would end). 

Bert is played by the Gavin Lee, the actor who originated the part in London. And, unlike other traveling shows, the touring company stays true to the London version and pulls out all the stops. Bert even dances on the ceiling. Talk about seeing a four-year-old's eyes pop out! Connor has never seen the movie, so I can't compare how magical the stage performance is to the movie, but I can note that the stage performance impressed him.

Mary Poppins, played by Carolyn Sheen, flies up the stairs several times and then flies through the theatre during the closing number. This, too, was just incredible to Connor. 

Connor loved seeing the sets turn, and he almost couldn't comprehend how pieces of the set were flying in and out. We got to go on a backstage tour after the show. WOW! Connor was most impressed with the "pit" on the tour, and was very impressed when I told him Aunt Linda used to play her flute in "the pit".  He also deemed the costumes very cool.

This was such a great choice for our first full-length musical together. Ed stayed home with Helen, and they also had a whale of a day. It's nice to spend time independently with the little people every now and again. At 2, Helen never would've made it through the performance, though I do look forward to my first full-length musical with her as well.


Elaine

Full disclosure: I was given these tickets, along with a parrot head umbrella like Mary's, a book about theatre with some very cool pictures of Julie Taymor sketches, a special program with beautiful photos from the show, a CD of the show's music, and a coffee mug that Connor is claiming as his, to be saved until he's old enough to drink coffee. I was not obligated to write about the show. The opinions expressed above are my own. My heartfelt thanks to Disney. Their gift facilitated a very special memory for me and hopefully Connor. My only regret? I've opened my umbrella several times and have yet to fly. But I'll keep trying!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you and Connor. I really, really wanted to take Esther to see this but it is just not in the budget this quarter. So happy for you both.

    Oh, and I will also be your musical theater buddy anytime, any place, any production, any company. I even think high school productions are pretty darn cool. I dream that one day one of these musicals will finally have an audience participation component and I will finally be able to go up on stage. My role as Marta when I was 8 in a community theater production of The Sound of Music was not sufficient to quench my thirst for the spotlight !

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sounds like a lot of fun. I thought about taking Rachel to it since she loved the movie but I never thought she would be able to sit through it.
    and like Ellen, I love musicals (and opera as well)

    ReplyDelete