Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Cupcake Roundup

We've been pretty consistent about eating cupcakes on Fridays around here. And sometimes on Saturdays. And a few even snuck in our house on Sundays. Some of these were from friends, birthday parties, and some pink ones even came from a dinner guest!

Just to recap, we started with the big guns - Georgetown Cupcake, because those were given to me at an SVMoms event, although I've also purchased a good many of them on my own. After several weeks, they retain top prize, in my book. I've also written about DaddyCakes, which are from my hometown of Topeka, Kansas and since Grandma purchased a dozen, we did a good bit of tasting these yummy morsels. We've been to the Bakeshop...twice, actually. And I keep trying to be impressed by them, but frankly, the chocolate store next door is such a knockout, that I suspect most days when I'm in Clarnedon, I'll stop in there, instead. Variety...I need variety in my cupcake choices. And both times I've visited Bakeshop I've been less than impressed on this note, although the owner/baker did offer to whip up something special each time, which was certainly nice. At my sister's suggestion, we visited Smallcakes in Overland Park, Kansas, and that was worth the trip just to see how utterly messy my sister could get.

What I didn't yet tell you about is that we also went to Woodmoor Pastry Shop, after a playdate with my friend Ellen, a.k.a., blogger extraordinaire, Thirft Store Mama. We met another local blogger (who has made me grateful I did lots of kegels after giving birth because if I hadn't, I would pee my pants an awful lot while reading her posts they're so funny) at the shop Jean, a.k.a. Stimey.




The thing about Woodmoor is that they're a bakery, and not a cupcake store, so the selection was slim. And, when I asked if they could throw some sprinkles on something to appease one of the little people, the answer was a flat "no".


We ended up with two cupcakes and two cookies - and the ratings came in at Connor's usual two thumbs up and Helen with the less standard surly look added to her thumb down. And yes, that is her stuffed cat's shirt on her head. While we were at the bakery, someone actually asked me where I had gotten that unusual hat, and they were being serious.


Then we went to my friend's bday party and had cupcakes a-plenty, but no rating was done. And our friend Anna brought over strawberry cupcakes which Helen loved because they were pink, and Connor loved because they could be self-frosted. Anna's mom was nice enough to leave four behind (at Connor's not so subtle requesting), and we've consumed every one of them!

Next, we traveled to Chincoteague, Virginia, and checked out Sugarbakers. The main problem with Sugarbakers is that they are only open in the morning, so if you happen to take your children there post-nap, they will be disappointed. Real disappointed.



The cupcakes were big, and that was nice. And they were loaded with icing, which Helen and Connor certainly appreciate. But they weren't that special. And actually, Connor chose a doughnut. When asked to rate the cupcakes, Helen held firm: two thumbs down (what does it take to impress this girl?) but surprisingly, Connor joined her. It makes sense, I suppose, since he didn't actually eat a cupcake.


 So that catches us up to last week.

Rank order so far is:

Week 1: Georgetown Cupcake (Washington, DC)

Week 3.2: Daddy Cakes (Topeka, KS)
Week 2: Bakeshop in Clarendon (Arlington, VA)
Week 3: Smallcakes (Overland Park, KS)
Week 4: Woodmor Pastry Shop (Silver Spring, MD)
Week 5: Sugarbakers
Not rated: friend's bday party and cupcakes gifted from Anna

Weight gain so far? Not an ounce on my part. But I've been biking into work daily, and it's been 100+ freakin' degrees on my way home in the afternoon. For the record, this is akin to what I imagine biking through an oven would be like. Not. Fun.

Elaine

2 comments:

  1. Love the cupcake wrap up! That girl of yours sure is tough to please, huh? I was also a little taken aback by Woodmoor Bakery's refusal of sprinkles.

    Their petit fours were great, though, even though my kids didn't like them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know that there is a "Cupcake vineyard" - makes a pretty decent bottle.

    ReplyDelete