Thursday, June 24, 2010

Cupcake Battle Week 3.2: Daddy Cakes in Topeka, KS

OK, so at first I was thinking we'd go to a cupcake store every other week, and then I thought maybe we'd go every week. But do you know what? When you're visiting your grandma and aunt, you get to go twice in one week!

After leaving my sister's house, we headed for my parent's house in Topeka. My mom knew about a cupcake shop that had recently moved to a bigger location - Daddy Cakes. Plus, a friend of mine suggested I go there when she read about these outings.



In case you hadn't heard, Topeka was recently ranked as one of the 10 best cities for the next decade in the country. And lest you think the list is completely bogus, it included standard gems like Seattle, Burlington, DC, and Boulder. I grew up in Topeka, and unless massive changes have taken place, Topeka does not belong on this list. As one of my friends recently said, Topeka is a great town to raise your kids in, and then watch your kids flee from.

But that doesn't mean I don't have a soft spot for this place I called home for so many years. And I really do hope this cupcake shop survives for a good long while (and the store was crowded the day I was there) because Topeka seems to be one of those towns where great things come and go, but never settle in. For example, there used to be a great Mexican restaurant near the University there that closed a few years after it opened. Topeka once built a huge performing arts center, only for it to sit basically unused. And I cannot even recall the number of minor league hockey teams that have tried to set up shop there, only to go through a season and be shifted on to some other small town who wants to make a go of having a team. Ed and I might be the only people still wearing our "Topeka Tarantulas" t-shirts. You have to admit, that's an awesome hockey team name.

Anyway, this store has great selection. And, because my mom was buying, we got to purchase a dozen cupcakes rather than the standard one or fewer per person. I was almost tempted to purchase the cupcake flavor that they created when they were on TLC's cupcake wars show, but the secret ingredient was seaweed, and I'm not cool enough to order a seaweed cupcake. Connor initially chose the vanilla ones with vanilla frosting, but when he sat down to inspect the box, he went for---wait for it---cookies and cream! This cookies and cream cupcake was WAY better than the one at the last store. Helen went for---wait for it---the pink one! Which was strawberry flavored cake and icing.



Even though the store was teeming with people, the little people weren't about to wait for Grandma to return from her errand. So I dropped the box right in the middle of the crowded store and they dug in.



Connor went with his standard two thumbs up rating:



And Helen decided to go with two thumbs down, though in this particular shot it looks like she might be easing up a bit and giving the cupcake a one thumb down, one thumb sideways.



I'm going with 3.5 stars - but they were better than Bakeshop. Selection was terrific. I love that they have three cupcake sizes (Daddy Cake, Baby Cake, and Petite Cake). But, the sugar in my icing wasn't fully dissolved - giving them a low score in my book on consistency of icing. I'm guessing they mistakenly took the sugar off the stove before it had a chance to fully turn into a liquid, though maybe this was intentional.

Thanks, Grandma!

Week 1: Georgetown Cupcake (Washington, DC)
Week 3.2: Daddy Cakes (Topeka, KS)
Week 2: Bakeshop in Clarendon (Arlington, VA)
Week 3: Smallcakes (Overland Park, KS)

Elaine

2 comments:

  1. Just finished having a Daddy Cake tonight. Scott accidently put them in the freezer. i took them out and let them thaw for about 10 minutes and they were delish. Not sure what flavor they were some kind of chocolate. Having lemon ones tomorrow. We are in topeka for about 10 days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daddy Cake was on Food TV the other day

    ReplyDelete