Monday, June 28, 2010

Taking to the Water

Helen loves the swimming pool. And that's a good thing, seeing as how she's been at our neighborhood pool twice daily since it warmed up. She goes in the early afternoon with our au pair and Connor, and then back again with whomever is available around dinner time. She waves and applauds when Connor hits the diving board, she jumps in from the side, and she constantly demands "hold my jacket" which is Helen Speak for asking someone to hold the back of her wet suit while she paddles happily around.

Last week, Helen began her first series of lessons. She told the instructor she was there to learn how to swim "all by myself - with no one touching me". And then she added "and then I can go off the diving board!".

Her lessons, along with Connor's are at 5:00. I signed them up for this series because my endearing memory of swim lessons at my own neighborhood pool growing up is how freakin' cold it is in the morning before the pool opens. As it turns out, the water is so warm right now, that even the morning lessons are probably bearable. But the evening lessons still rock because I can swim laps while the kids are in someone else's hands.

For the past few days, Helen has been loving her goggles, using them to go underwater and look at me or Ed. She can propel herself a bit, and let all her air out while she's beneath the surface. After one particularly deep swim, she came up, shook her head, and shouted to me "That was SERIOUS! It was A-MAZIN'!"

Yes, Helen, yes it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment