Monday, June 21, 2010

Fairy Wands

Every time I attend a Waldorf festival, I see all sorts of handmade toys that I want to purchase, but then almost always convince myself I should just make the toys myself at home. Well...I've made a few toys in the past, but not that many. At Connor's Spring Dance last year, my friend Carrie had made a bunch of fairy wands. I loved them, but at $18 a pop, I added them to my list of things I ought to make instead of purchase.

I stitched the top of the wands on the trip up to New York and at our camping trip. Predictably, progress on the wands halted when I needed the wooden dowel for the actual wand part of the project. Luckily, my mom is the kind of person who knows that it's best to do a task when the opportunity presents itself, rather than waiting for what might seem like a more convenient time later.

Last week, while my dad took Connor and Helen to story time, my mom took me to a fabric store. After consulting with a sales rep briefly, I realized we should just head to Crate and Barrel for supplies (I'll show this project when it's done), but along the way I had mentioned I needed some dowels. My mom told me we were close to Hobby Lobby so we could go get them right now. Of course, I told her there was no need for an extra trip, that I could just get the dowels when I was back in DC, knowing even as the words were leaving my mouth that I was probably looking at another week before the almost finished project would be completed. My mom drove the car right to the store, we went in, got the dowels, and now I have these!



Now, let's see what sort of magic Helen and Connor can perform with them!

Elaine

No comments:

Post a Comment