Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Big Parenting Decision #1

When a woman finds out she is pregnant with a boy (or, as in my case, chooses not to find out so must plan for the possibility of both a boy and a girl), among the first decisions she and her partner will need to make is whether or not they will have their infant circumcised.

Ed happens to be friends with a prominent member of one of the leading groups trying to end the practice of male circumcision. And, as part of his advocacy efforts, this friend sent Ed and I some "literature" on the subject. Ed and I talked about the issue quite a bit. In the end, I don't think either of us could imagine taking the effort of taking our baby to a hospital or pediatrician's office, or wherever one goes to have this done. So we didn't, figuring that if we had a son, he could make the decision for himself later on.

I have never regretted the choice we made, but I did feel fairly ostracized about it at one point.

I wrote about it over at DCMetroMoms a few days ago. Click on the link if you want to read more.

Elaine

Elaine

No comments:

Post a Comment