Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Changing Allegiances at the Ballpark

Among other problems, one of the major ailments affecting many folks growing up in Kansas and probably the western half of Missouri is the designation of being a lifelong fan of the Kansas City Royals. To bear this cross is harder than most folks can imagine. It might not happen so much these days, because the team has failed to field a quality product for so many consecutive years with two exceptions (the strike-shortened season of 1994 when they headed into the strike with something like a 14 game winning streak and 2003 when they flirted with the post-season pretty late in the season).

But I came of age when George Brett was chasing .400, when the Royals got a lucky call and went on to win the World Series, when - as another fan and I reminisced at Nationals Stadium last night - you had to get in line early to get a $4 General Admission ticket because they would definitely sell out.

So I root for the Royals. In good weather and in bad weather. I just can't break the habit. I'm happy to have the Nats around as my NL team, but my heart lives in the AL (although admittedly, these days I watch very few games and couldn't tell you the names of the starting line-up). Last night, I got to root for the Royals from sweet seats that a friend gave me. Here are two tips I will give to baseball fans in the area. (1) Games start at 7:05, not 7:35. This handy fact is printed on the tickets, if you bother to look. I chose not to look, but instead hallucinated about a conversation I had with Ed where he told me the game started at 7:35. For those wondering, he was in his seat for the opening pitch. (2) The Nationals have not decided to start playing at RFK again, and the subway stop for the current Nationals Stadium is Navy Yard, not Potomac. (But should you take my circuitous route to the ballpark, your kids can ride on the subway for oh, I don't know, an extra half hour.) We had so much time together as we traveled to the game that we were able to go over that we were all Royals fans. Connor diplomatically decided that since Daddy liked the Nationals, he would be most happy if the Royals won, but it would be OK if the Nationals won. By the end of the game, he changed his tune. But I'll leave you in suspense guessing as to what it might be.

As you might guess, the night started off a bit behind schedule. When I arrived at the (correct) subway stop with the kids, rain was coming down harder than I have seen in a long time and the wind was blowing so much that even in the subway system, there were few dry spots. Moms with two kids and one cat in a stroller look pathetic though, so we secured one of those coveted dry spots without having to throw too many elbows. And believe me, nobody wants to throw elbows with Helen. She can really put the hurt on your knee!



Predictably, the storm disappeared as quickly as it came on and my crew then headed to the seats, where Ed was waiting for us. It was 8:30. Naturally, Ed wondered where we had been, and I had to explain we had two long delays for transfers, plus, when did they move the stadium? Sheesh. But, the game was only halfway done and had been halted by a rain delay (thank you, higher power, for sending that storm our way - without it, I might've missed the whole game!). We settled into our seats with plenty of time to wait for the Royals comeback.

Since I received the tickets free, I figured the kids could have whatever they wanted from the concession stand. Oh, who am I kidding? I would've given them whatever they wanted even if I'd paid an arm and a leg for the tickets because I appreciate those rare moments when both kids sit quietly observing their surroundings, be it the on-field play or the popcorn.



Connor isn't particularly fond of loud noises (though he does put up with Helen quite well) so he sought refuge from the noise by clamping his hands over his ears when his hands weren't occupied diving into the popcorn container. Helen though? She LOVED the ballpark. I'm not sure she even knew there was a game being played in front of her until Ed tried to inform her of the basics in the 8th inning. She fit right in, soaking up the entire environment. Her first question:

"Mommy, why did you just say dammit?"
"Because I'm a Royals fan."
"Oh, me too."

Next, a drink salesman came by singing:

"Ice cold beer, soda, lemonade"
Helen gleefully shouted "LEMONADE!" only the stadium was so loud (not actually loud for a baseball stadium, but loud compared to Helen's constant talking) that only the guy in front of us heard Helen's request, rather than the salesman. I'm sure Helen is still offended by the slight. I'm telling you though, if you have a child who talks nonstop, go immediately to the baseball game. They can talk their heads off and you will not even notice it that much.

Helen's next request to Ed was ice cream. This ice cream was a genius purchase, because she was so darn cute the camera guy came by and put her on TV, though apparently just the local channel since my parents didn't see her on their recorded version of the KC feed.

She ate her ice cream and waved.



Then she did a little jig.



Our old seats at RFK were frequented by the scoreboard camera so much that I don't think there was a game Connor attended where he didn't also appear on that scoreboard those first two years of his life. It's only fair that Helen sought TV fame when Connor went in search of french fries with Ed. As awesome as Ed is with the kids, he knew when he saw that enormous ice cream beginning to melt all over Helen that he better deliver her to me pronto before attempting additional snack procurement.

As the game continued, Helen decided she better start getting things ready for tomorrow. After all, it was a day game. She diligently wiped off all of the chairs in the row in front of us and a few in the row in front of that. She even enticed Connor to join her, despite the fact that he was enjoying the game from Ed's lap.





The 9th inning approached, and the Royals made a legitimate run at a comeback, ultimately falling short by one run. Ed kindly took the kids one aisle away so I could hope without distraction. I didn't ask him if he did this so the kids wouldn't be subject to the cursing that could possibly fly out of my mouth when the inevitable happened, and the Royals didn't win.

As we headed to the parking lot (yes, the free tickets came with a very good parking spot as well) I asked the kids how they felt about the Nationals winning. Helen was totally mad about it. That's why I love Helen. And for the record in sports, being completely irrational and stubborn is completely appropriate. It's why I'm still a Royals fan. Connor announced he didn't care who won and who lost. He was a Red Sox fan. I can't decide if that's better or worse than when he was a Yankees fan.

Elaine

1 comment: