Thursday, September 12, 2013

My Heart Melted Over a Piano

After a 6 week break, Connor started back at his piano lessons today. I love that he plays piano. I have such fond memories of banging out tunes and belting out Broadway hits that it's hard for me to imagine not playing piano. I mean, what do you do if you can't read music and start singing whenever you want?*

Connor was extremely proud to be able to play piano for his grandparents and my sister (a professional piano teacher) when we were in Kansas back in July. And you know what the absolute best part of the whole trip to Kansas was? The day my sister sat down and played a secondo line opposite Connor's primo. If I was harboring ill feelings toward my sister, they melted that day. She must have sat with him for at least half an hour. During that half hour, Connor felt like a professional musician. He was absolutely inspired to keep playing piano because finally, after several weeks of one note at a time, he experienced the art of making music.



Elaine

*That's sort of a rhetorical question. My friend hosts a caroling party every year and I know exactly what you do if you're not making harmonies with several people who really know how to sing. You stand at the back and drink from a flask, or you stay at home and stir the chili while everyone else walks around the neighborhood (Ed's preferred option).


No comments:

Post a Comment