Thursday, May 13, 2010

Connor, Month 57

Dear Connor,

You keep growing, and growing, and growing and all of it amazes me. You run to greet your friends on the playground each morning, you run to show me new things you have discovered, and always, always, you seem to be in a hurry. Except at dinner time. There, you are usually s.l.o.w. Sometimes though, you amaze everyone by hopping up to the table, gobbling down the evening's offering and then running off to do something else.



You have decided that you would like to have a "really different birthday party". You want one where children can look at a big tank of lobsters...and crabs. And then eat them. We will be in Cape May to celebrate your birthday, so we might actually be able to make this happen. If not, I'm sure you'll come up with another good idea.

When Grandma and Grandpa were here last weekend, you kept them on their toes. You always appreciate a visit from them because Grandma always agrees to carry you long distances, something I gave up long ago. You enjoyed a game a golf with just you and the two of them while Helen was at a birthday party and I was at a baby shower. You came home pretty happy.

You enjoyed heading out to Burke Lake Park where you waded in to retrieve an abandoned bobber. All of the adults were fairly certain you would end up completely soaked, but somehow you managed to keep your clothes dry.



You also enjoyed the carousel and train at this park. And you are solidly reliable enough to be put on a carousel and I don't have to worry about you jumping or falling off. This is important for two reasons. First, I do not actually like riding carousels. I love how they look, and I love the idea, but I'm old these days. I get dizzy. Having you be independent on a carousel is the first step towards me not having to ride one again. Secondly, Helen likes to choose her own animal these days, and it's not always near the animal you choose. She's not quite as reliable as you, so I need to be able to go to her without worrying that you will fall off.



We hosted a "natural dyeing day" for friends at your school one afternoon, and you created this silk playcloth, which quickly became a hair adornment. It rocks. I'm already planning the next dyeing day.



One very wonderful thing about your grandparents coming to visit is that always, always, we get a few projects done. This time? We added a rope swing to the backyard. Soon, we'll replace it with a disk swing, but until it comes, you can enjoy the rope. You insisted it have a loop in it for your foot just like the one in my Aunt Dorothy's barn - a swing you last saw about a year ago when we were at her farm for a family reunion.



My one beef with you is that when your friends come over you seem to have a tough time playing with Helen. In some cases, I think it's because you know how to play with them, and you know how to play with Helen, but you haven't figured out how to play with them both. In other cases, you enjoy seeing if you can torture her by doing something she doesn't like. I'm less fond of this than the first case where you tend to just ignore her.

All in all, Connor, I have to say that it doesn't get much better than this.



Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment