Saturday, July 9, 2011

First Dive Meet

On Thursday, Connor participated in his first dive meet. I was nervous. We had attended an "A" meet, the previous week, and Connor had picked up on the following items.

1. 5 is a really good score (diving is scored from 1- 10, and we saw the youngest divers)
2. Receiving "no score" is really bad. (Something that happens when you fail to complete the dive you've signed up to complete.)
3. He would probably at least get 5s. (Confidence that kid has, I tell you.)

I picked up on the following:

1. The youngest age group is age 10 or under. There's a lot of difference between a 5 year old and a 10 year old!
2. Getting a 2 would be a miracle.
3. Sometimes, diving hurts.

I wasn't sure how his little ego would take getting crushed, given that he wasn't on track to get all 5s, but I didn't want to broach the subject too harshly, because I didn't want him to be worrying about it. I want him to worry about clearing the board and not needing to go to the ER - although I don't think he even realizes this is a possibility.

I needn't have worried. It was a "B" meet (which is why he could participate), and the youngest age group there is 5s and 6s. Also, the worst score they give is a 2, and at one point, someone completed the wrong "dive" (they performed a front jump into the pool rather than a back jump) and one of the judges quickly called out "score it as a front jump". And so the other judges followed suit. Amen. Hallelujah.

Connor's first dive was a hurdle front dive. He was the only one in his age group to complete this dive. Most kids opted for a "falling off front dive", or had a coach assist them into the water.




Connor's second dive was a jumping off back dive. Most kids did the falling off back dive, a few did a back jump off the diving board, and a few just jumped off frontwards. Notice the air he gets on this dive - and recall that this is the dive that he recently smacked very badly, and his coach shouted at him "Connor, I'm glad you were wearing that smack suit, because otherwise that would've hurt". He nailed the dive.





Connor received all high scores for this, including at least one 6.5. The announcer forgot to announce it, and his coach shouted "announce those scores - let him hear it" and Connor was out of this world thrilled. I'm sitting far away, but you might be able to pick up on his delight in this photo.


I've said it before. I love this coach. Love him.

Finally, for Connor's third dive, he did a front somersault. He had the option of pencil jump (degree of difficulty = 0.5) or the flip (degree of difficulty = 1.6). He went for it - and landed it - splashing me in the process!




After Connor's group was done, Coach Bobby shouted "hive fives for the divers" and that's when all the kids on the team stood up and started high-fiving Connor like he was Greg Louganis. Connor was so proud.



Connor, you've come a long way!

Elaine

Updated: Connor learned today at his dive lesson that he placed first. He was so thrilled that when I walked in the door today he shouted "Mom! You won't believe what happened. I won the dive meet!". He later told me it was the best thing that had ever happened to him. And then he told me I should take some lessons so I could learn how to dive better.

6 comments:

  1. when do we go to the Olympics?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photos are great! He is obviously a natural! Who'd have thought one of your babes would be sommersaulting through the air so soon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cool. Way to go, Connor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Give Connor "high fives" from all of us...

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWESOME!!!!!! He looks like a pro!!!! I am very proud of him!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Job Connor!!! Grandpa Rodney and I are proud of you.

    ReplyDelete