Sunday, June 26, 2011

Diving...and Dinner

Connor joined the dive team at our pool. It's something he has looked forward to since he first heard about it last year. As much as I have resisted all signing up for sports, I broke down - encouraged it, even, because I know how much Connor loves the coach, and I just adore this thrill-seeking part of my otherwise cautious child. I won't adore it so much when he gets injured, but for now I love that he has this fun place to take risks.

Connor is in the front row, closest to the water.
Diving season is about to be in full swing, and occasionally, I start regretting signing Connor up for it. For the past couple of weeks, Connor has had practice every evening from 4:00 to 5:00. This was fine when I had a driving babysitter, but then I got a new (temporary) babysitter who doesn't drive, and so either Ed or I had to be home by 3:50 every day to dash to the pool. This has done a number on dinner at our house - which used to take place promptly at 5:30.

Noodles and Company is trying to save me. They came out with a "Very Berry Spinach Salad" for the summer. They happen to be located a few blocks from my house, serve Helen's favorite dish - macaroni - and I'm happy for anything green that has cheese as well (bacon optional, so I had them remove it). Yum. And thank you. I'm adding it to our picnic repetroire, which will help facilitate a new routine of diving and then eating, and then swimming before bed. (Yes, it wears even Helen out, and she falls to sleep almost instantly, rather than talking herself to sleep.) I'm also taking any and all other quick and not too expensive suggestions for pre-made picnic items.


But Connor doesn't really care about dinner. He cares about horsing around with the other kids at practice, and then getting his turn on the boards. He can now do: falling forward front dive; falling off back dive; jumping front dive; front flip (inconsistently); and jumping back dive (sometimes - more on that below).

Helen can do: jump off the side and falling forward front dive from the side. She can also complain mightily about not being allowed to go off the board. She can actually swim now, but not consistently enough to pass a swim test. And she'll go through phases of not really swimming at all, but instead walking on the bottom and insisting she's swimming. Hopefully it'll click into place for her soon.

Helen, being indignant while watching Connor dive.

I had intended to use my new camera to capture sweet photos of Connor diving on Friday, but the last 15 minutes of practice on Friday were "Fun Friday", which involves the kids playing games, until they get so out of control the coach has to cancel "Fun Friday". (Oh, the power!). In this game, Connor was supposed to perform a hurdle, leap into the air, and then "catch the sammy". Apparently, Connor needs to leap a little more. The object is several feet above his head in the photo.


Oh well...better luck next time.

During this particular practice, Connor did a jumping off back dive, only he didn't so something right, and he basically did a Nestea Plunge off the board. Ouch! When he came up for air, the coach looked at Connor and said "Connor, I'm glad you were wearing that smack suit, because otherwise that would've hurt". Connor, undeterred, found his place at the back of the line.

Connor also suffered a minor injury when he literally walked off the side of the board. Thankfully, he landed in water. Neither Ed nor I witnessed the event. Ed saw some scratches on Connor's ankle one night when we were in Williamsburg and asked about the provenance of the marks. Connor replied matter of factly that he had fallen off the board. I emailed the dive coach and found out that indeed, he had just walked right off the board. This wasn't too surprising, as I had kept Connor from walking right into three posts that day. Little Dude can definitely be spacey.

Elaine

I received a coupon in the mail for a free salad at Oodles of Noodles. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment