Monday, June 27, 2011

Bring on the Quarters, Grandpa Rodney

Connor has been obsessed with money for some time now, and I don't mind it at all because the little dude can spend a lot of time counting coins - which is time he is sitting still, quiet, and happy. I appreciate all of those things sometimes. He's mostly obsessed with the Penny Arcade at TDBank, which is a big coin counting machine that sits inside each TDBank. Prior to dumping coins in the machine, you guess the value of your coins. If your guess is within $1.99 of the total, you win a prize. Because of the aforementioned counting, Connor always wins a prize.

I instituted a rule that he had to have at least $10 in coins before I'd take him to the bank, and basically now I spend a lot of time with Connor begging me for coins, and then Connor lamenting not having enough to go to the bank.

Because of Helen's Social Security number problems, I didn't open up a bank account for her when I opened Connor's account. Although a second identity might prove useful in Helen's later life, I didn't want the hassle of having more official documents with the wrong name. On Saturday, Helen made use of her newly minted SSN and I opened an account for her. On the bright side (for her), Connor will no longer pilfer all her money. On the downside (for me), now there are two coin seekers in the house.

Every time Connor and Helen visit my dad, he gives them quarters.

Just a little warning for you, Dad, for our upcoming trip. A few days ago, Connor announced to Helen:

"Helen - we're going to visit Grandpa Rodney soon. He always gives us more quarters!"

And, because the two of them think alike, Helen instantly chimed in with:

"Yes, Connor! And then we can to go to TDBank to get more prizes!"

If this bank goes out of business, blame my kids for squeezing them for beach balls, band-aids, coloring books, crayons, and a bajillion other prizes they've scored in the past couple of years.

Elaine

4 comments:

  1. You should sign them up for piano lessons with a cool teacher like me who gives prizes for practicing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely hate positive reinforcement techniques, but I can see how they work. The limited exposure my kids have to them work wonders at inducing a behavior. Although, I think the behavior TDBank is trying to reinforce is saving, and what they are actually reinforcing is begging mom (or grandpa) for coins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate giving prizes for practicing, as the reward should be learning to play the piano, but they make kids so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I gave Grandpa Rodney all the quarters that was received from the recent garage sale. Score for Helen and Connor!!

    ReplyDelete