Friday, April 8, 2011

Homemade Friday: Plant-Based Dyes: Onion Skins for Eggs

About a year ago, I hosted a natural dyeing day where a super nice woman from Connor and Helen's school brought over three dyes prepared using plant based ingredients. I fell in love with it, but never followed through with plans to host another day - until now. As part of the silent auction at school last Fall, I donated a day of dyeing, which would include me mordanting fabric and making dyes.

I have never done this by myself.

As the day for the dyeing draws near, I'm getting a little nervous. So I decided to at least try to make a small batch of dye prior to the event, to make sure I could pull it off.

On Wednesday night, I put a handful of onion skins in a tiny pot. I covered them with water, and then simmered them for about 20 minutes. Magically, the water transformed into a beautiful gold color. Ed came up with the idea to dye some eggs. I had some dye from the prior event (cochineal) left in my basement, so I heated that up so the kids would have two colors.

I'm in love with natural dyes.





Elaine

3 comments:

  1. I'm planning to try natural dyes for our eggs this year. I love your yellow onion skin, and was also going to try grated beet for magenta and pureed spinach for green (might be more of a sickly brownish green though, we'll see).

    Do you add a bit of white vinegar to set the color like you do with the artificial dye kits?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those eggs came out a really pretty color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love, love, love this idea, my friend--thanks for sharing, and many thanks for linking back on teach mama!!

    this is SO cool--can't wait to try it!!

    ReplyDelete