Friday, November 9, 2007

Happy Birthday, Ed

Today, Ed turned 38, although I'm sure it feels closer to 55. After one glorious night of uninterrupted sleep, Connor decided to wake up at 3:00 and stay that way for a while. I was feeding Helen (after waking her up!), so Ed answered Connor's call.

Connor was quite excited that there was a birthday in the house (coupled with a birthday at school which made the day double-good). We celebrated by frosting cupcakes for Ed. And no, you don't need to adjust your monitors, that is indeed, blue frosting. Is this sad, or what? I used to bake wedding cakes, but for Ed's birthday, the best I could muster was cake from a box. I just didn't have it in me to bake something with Connor from scratch yesterday, and this box of cake mix has been sitting in my basement for I don't know, 5 years, so it was time to use it up.

The results were not good (though the sprinkles were nice!), but Ed pretended everything was fine. I guess that's the wisdom that comes with 38 years. When your toddler is excited about blowing out a candle and putting blue frosting on a cupcake, and your wife is too lame to make you a decent dessert, you smile. Thanks, Ed.

Next week, we're going to the Neil Young concert to celebrate Ed's birthday. I promise it'll be better than today.

Elaine

No comments:

Post a Comment