Thursday, October 3, 2013

Sophie's Cuban - New Restaurant in My Work 'Hood

It's a little surreal over here. At a time when the government is shutting down, and people are starting to get a little nervous, much of life in DC keeps on ticking. And one recent sign of this was the opening of another new restaurant in DC - Sophie's Cuban.

Sophie’s Cuban, located at 1134 19th Street, NW serves authentic Cuban food— fast. You can order your meal online (one of my key lunchtime requirements) and have food ready to be picked up when you arrive.

In fact, the restaurant meets all my lunch requirements:

(1) Located within 3 blocks of my office.
(2) Online ordering
(3) Have spicy food
(4) Decent vegetarian option.

The restaurant is weakest on #4, but since I eat fish, I have a couple of great options, including the juiciest, skin-on salmon I have had in a long time. Sometime, I will learn the secret of how to cook salmon with this much juice. My kids would love it.

My other recommendation? Fried green plantains with this green sauce that is good enough to drink. It's completely delicious. I spent most of my recent lunch there eating this and thinking back to the time in college I went to Miami with friends and was treated to a night of Cuban entertainment. Fun times. Fun times.

Tomorrow, I will be ready to kvetch about how my husband has been shut out of his job while I've been steadfastly going to mine. It's hard to write a post like that without exposing how much you wish to kick a few house members in the behind. And so it sits in draft...but not for long.

Elaine

Disclosure: I was treated to a tasting menu at the opening of Sophie's Cuban. I was not required to write about my experience there.

No comments:

Post a Comment