Sunday, October 9, 2011

Once Upon A Monster

Recently, I took the kids to an event at Georgetown that was hosted by the folks who did the studies Helen participated in. We got to see the Kinect in action - which is pretty groovy if you have never witnessed it. I know, you probably have. I live under a rock.

There are no controls on the games. Instead, kids "wave in" to play the game - and that and other actions are picked up by cameras in the game. In this particular game, kids become Elmo and Cookie Monster and go through a series of movements that are happening in the story. At the end, there's something of a free dance session. The technology is incredibly impressive. Remember, I grew up on Pong, and then the Commodore Vic 20. Wow. Just wow.

And while video games might not be our home's entertainment du jour, I will say this. These games are totally intuitive. I'm always impressed when I see a young child with an iPad, and it's for the same reason I'm impressed with this gaming system. With no training whatsoever, it's possible to - in this case - play the game. Pretty clever. And Helen and Connor both had a lot of fun. It's clear that the creators of the game went to great lengths to meet children where they are, rather than just simplifying an adult game. Kudos for that.


But here's my objection. The game is focused on getting children out of their chairs and moving. We know that's generally a good thing. But when we decide to use games like this to promote exercise, I feel like we're trying to figure out how to win the battle, while at the same time admitting we have lost the war (and maybe we have - remember, I live under a rock). Yes, if I had to choose whether my child was sitting down passively playing a game or running around engaged playing a game, I would choose the latter almost every time.

But that's a false choice. And I think we've forgotten that. Gaming doesn't have to be inevitable. It's a choice we make each day - and we can choose to become Elmo and run around inside a world that some very creative person brought to us, or we can run around outside and create something magical ourselves. And there's a lot of middle ground available, too.

Is the game fun? Absolutely. Is the game better than other gaming alternatives? Absolutely. But is it the best use of a young child's time? I'd say there's plenty of room for debate on that one. And frankly, I've had to "agree to disagree" with almost everyone I know on this point.

Also, for the record, I think cookie monster eating a box of cookies all at once is funny. I'm a little bit wistful that he's eating fruit now.

Elaine

PS - In irony of all ironies, I won a gaming system at the event. I knew from the moment Connor drew "9" that it would be drawn out of the bowl. It hasn't arrived yet.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats - Drew would love to get one of those. th

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have played with them and I love the fact it gets us all moving

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you!!! But yes, you are one of the few people I know who agree with me.

    - H.

    ReplyDelete