Monday, December 27, 2010

Let's Play Ball!

In my house, when you participate in an activity, you practice. Even if you have no hope of ever doing anything more than making daisy chains in the outfield, you practice. (Although not the daisy chain making, which I suppose I was quite good at, but the actual activity.)

At some point, my sister and I decided to participate in whatever come-all t-ball league existed in our hometown. As in, no talent required to participate.

Being that my dad is an engineer, he immediately set to manufacturing his own tee for t-ball because, ahem, why would you pay for something like that when you can get an old coffee can, fill it with cement, add a fat piece of pvc pipe, and put some random rubber thing on the top to make your own tee? That, for those who don't know, is what living with an engineer is like in a nutshell.

Besides being a cost effective way to get a baseball tee, it's also a way to guarantee that your grandchildren will be able to use the tee. I'm willing to bet that my friends whose parents purchased a tee saw that tee tossed in the trash a few years after their t-ball careers ended.

Not mine.

My tee is still standing, in like-new condition as the folks on Craigslist would say.

And so it is, that every time Connor visits, he attempts to master the game. And now I present to you, baseball in 6 steps.

1. Grab metal bat that weights about as much as you do.


2. Approach tee.



3. Hey batter, batter, s-wing, batter, batter.


 4. Make contact with the ball, or in this case, the tee. Because that tee? It's set to exactly one height. If you're too short, you hit the rubber part. Throw the bat and start running!


5. Do a victory dance after outwitting your dad by moving the bases so you can get a home run!



6. Then go inside and bake a cake with Grandma.



Elaine

4 comments:

  1. Is that the same tee? From all those years ago? WOW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes it is, Amie! Feel free to head over to my parents and take a swing some day, just be careful not to knock any windows out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I do understand the game, thank you Connor

    ReplyDelete
  4. Winter baseball rules, Elaine. Cute kids!

    ReplyDelete