Monday, November 1, 2010

NAtional BLOg POsting MOnth: The Discerning Trick-or-Treater

It's November, and once again, Therese has issued her annual NaBloPoMo challenge - post something every day the entire month of November.

Ready. Set. Go.

I'll start with the really low hanging fruit. This year, Connor and Helen opted to be a hobgoblin and a pink cat, respectively, for Halloween. What is a hobgoblin, you might be wondering? I wondered, too. According to Connor, it is someone who dresses up in blue blue sweatpants, a blue sweatshirt, and a blue scary hat like Daddy's. Really? Because that actually sounds like your dad, but whatever. It was a costume I could do, even when Connor added he would need a yellow cape with green stars. Twelve individually cut and sewn on felt stars. The hat was discarded almost as soon as it was donned because he couldn't see well. It's a ski mask for an adult, after all.


In case you can't tell - that cape rocks! A few people even though I had used a machine to sew the felt stars on because the stitches are that even.

And a photo where you can see the stars:



My mom will be totally proud of that cape, and even more proud because not only did I make it like she made almost every costume I ever wore, but I was stitching it together yesterday during a birthday party and last night during a dinner party. All I can say is, I learned to stitch fast from her - because that's how you have to stitch if you're making the costume the day before Halloween!

Helen loved the trick-or-treat aspect of the holiday, and in fact went to more houses than Connor and made a last run with Ed when she sensed her time looting others' homes was nearly done.



As in past years, the loot was good. In fact, my neighbors across the street asked Connor and Helen what their favorite candy was and Connor received an entire bag of jelly beans from them. Helen got a box of Whoppers. Talk about nice people!

Elaine

P.S. Here's a little tip I'll give everyone out there. Do not go to the fabric store thinking it will be a ten minute visit like it is every other night of the year the week before Halloween. I acquired my yellow fabric, elastic band, and pink felt - but I had to wait in a substantial line to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment