Friday, May 11, 2007

First professional haircut

A couple of weeks ago, it became obvious to me that Connor needed to get a haircut. Not so much because I mind long-haired boys, but because the back was truly getting difficult to comb, which meant Connor was becoming less and less cooperative since he knew he might get a hair tug in the process. Then, I bathed him one night (usually Ed's job), and when his hair was wet, it became truly obvious how long his hair had become.


Connor's hair had gotten long enough, and tangled enough, that I knew it was time to call in a professional. I polled the playground ladies who had boys with curly hair to see where they got their sons' hair cut, and as it turns out, they all go to the same person - so I decided I would take Connor there too. I decided that the best chance I had of making this adventure successful was to hope Connor agreed to it, so for several days, I would come home and ask "Do you want to get your hair cut today?" and each time, Connor would respond "No, another day". Finally, on Monday, I decided it was time - so I tossed Connor in the car and drove over to the barber shop. Annie was just finishing up another guy, which ended up being a good thing because we could read books and check out the place for a few minutes. As soon as the guy got down from the chair, Connor sprung up from where he was seated and shouted "Connor's turn" and indeed, it was. He hopped on my lap, positioned himself so he could look out the window, and we proceeded to count the red cars, the buses, the birds, and pretty much anything else we saw more than one of while Annie worked her magic. $12 later - with no scary moments - Annie was done. Connor turned around to admire himself and noticed the popcorn machine. He promptly informed Annie "Connor want some popcorn", and Annie happily gave him a scoop. If you ask Connor if he got his hair cut, he will likely tell you about the popcorn. Thank you, Annie!


That night, Connor was determined to get the bubble pig that no longer blew bubbles to work. After several minutes of diligently turning it on and off (a feat I didn't actually know he could do since I've been doing it for him), bubbles emerged from the pig and laughter emerged from Connor. And to think, Ed and I were just going to toss it when Connor wasn't looking.

Elaine

No comments:

Post a Comment