Saturday, April 28, 2007

Calling Poopie

Changing the subject in order to avoid something is a tried and tested practice of children (and adults, I suppose). I thought we had a few more years before we reached this stage with Connor, but as in many other cases throughout this parenting journey, I was wrong. Connor has learned that there is one word he can utter, certain to get my attention. In our house, we call it "calling poopie". For example, I might ask Connor to put some toy away so we can get ready to leave. If he wants to go on whatever mission I have planned for him, no problem. But, if he'd prefer to not be bothered, he will squat down, look up at me, sometimes even grab his bottom for that extra special effect and say "poopie". Even when I am certain it is not possible for him to have soiled a diaper, I will stop what I'm doing and check the diaper, which buys him a few moments to figure out what his resistance strategy will be. He might (a) drop to the floor and go limp the "baby passive resistance" move (b) say "Connor run" and take off down the hall the "baby can outrun mommy" move, or (c) just go back to doing whatever it was he was doing before he had to call poopie, as if he had never been interrupted in the first place the "if I ignore it, so will she" move. Calling poopie has also been tried when I am in the middle of my own task like cooking or folding laundry and Connor would prefer I be playing animals with him and extending the bedtime ritual a bit.


Tonight, Connor called poopie as Ed was putting him to bed. Ed smelled Connor's nether regions (truly the best part of parenting - NOT!) and declared there was no poopie. So, Connor looked at Ed and said "Frog Poopie" because apparently Ed had gotten it all wrong. The stuffed frog the two of them had diapered a few days ago had pooped - duh!

A few nights ago, some friends were over playing bridge. We suggested calling poopie was a pretty good strategy to get out of doing stuff, but my friend who works at a big-time law firm didn't think his boss would go for it. Neither Ed nor I have tried it at our worksites, but I'm definitely keeping the idea in my back pocket. I can see it now. I'm in the middle of a long meeting, I want to leave but don't feel I can just get up and leave without a reason, so I stand up and say "poopie". By the time anyone figures out what's going on, I should be safely out of the room. Who says you can't learn something from your toddler?

Elaine

No comments:

Post a Comment