Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Stone Soup


Last weekend, Connor and I went to Chicago. This was the second time we've maneuvered through an airport, sans assistance. I can’t say it was the quickest trip through O’Hare, but I certainly did get to see a lot of things I normally don’t notice. For example, Connor was willing to stop and pick up selected pieces of trash to give me, and then we enjoyed throwing these little pieces of trash into the garbage cans (setting a fine example for anyone who was thinking it would be appropriate to just DROP trash anywhere on the floor). He also pointed out, many times, that we could view airplanes from the right side of the main aisle OR the left side. I wonder if all those people running to catch flights realized this magnificent feature of the airport? And, who knew there were so many stores with items just right for babies to pick up as they toddled by – or rather, darted toward as if their life depended on each and every one of them? I had never noticed them in quite the same way as I did on this trip! I also don’t think I have ever appreciated the extra miles Connor must travel each day because he is seemingly unable to walk in anything that resembles a straight line.

We headed into downtown Chicago in a taxi – MOM – Did you see? There is a SIGN on the TOP of the car? – DAH! DAH! DAH! (We should really look into getting a car this cool.) My parents had already arrived, and showing that you just can’t keep a grandparent down, they were waiting with new toys, frosted cookies, and a camera. Two cameras, actually. We rode the trolley down to the Navy Pier (after a very kind local pointed us in the right direction – something the surly man in a trolley pointed the wrong direction was unwilling to do) and headed for an Italian restaurant, followed by the Children’s Museum. If you have a child and you live anywhere near Chicago – you should run, not walk, to that museum. Even my dad had fun!



Before we left, I was pondering what I could do to make sure Ed remembered us. I thought about sticking some ice cubes beneath the covers to remind him of my very cold feet, or setting an alarm to scream at him at random intervals throughout the night, or even leaving a few small toys with sharp corners in choice locations. In the end, I decided since he was making an effort to fix our crapshack , I would try not to do anything to hinder his progress. Connor, however, proving that he is always one step ahead of both Ed and me, left a carefully placed stone in the pan Ed makes soup in. Reportedly, Ed (always the observant man of the house), emptied his can of soup in the pan, heated it, and didn’t realize there was a stone in there until he emptied the warm soup into his bowl and heard an odd clank. Score 1 for Connor.



No comments:

Post a Comment