Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Chicago Redux

While I was busy presenting a report I wrote, my parents hit the town with Connor. Part of the adventure involved the zoo – which I am sure Connor enjoyed, but the day started out a bit less exciting. They took him to the American Doll Store. This is not a place I would advise taking Connor. He doesn’t exactly “play gently” with toys – and these dolls are pricey, to say the least. Owning one because its head was severed from its body in an untimely fashion is not how I'd like one to come into my life. My nieces each have one of these dolls, compliments of Santa last year. I know Connor looks very innocent in the photo, but it's just him showing what a great actor he can be.

Connor certainly surprises me sometimes. In this case, he clearly sized up what he was about to be subjected to and fell asleep within about a block of the hotel exit. He and my dad then enjoyed napping in the store while my mom photographed the store to share with my nieces, visiting each of the THREE floors, which include a hair salon where, for the low price of about $20, you can have your doll’s hair styled. Wow – what a bargain! The store also has a hospital for the dolls (common ailments include broken arms, legs, and magic marker – oh if only this store existed when my sister’s kewpie doll got a bright purple bathing suit drawn on her one year – maybe by me, but I don’t remember the incident and the artwork was a bit nicer than I suspect I could’ve mustered).

Connor and my mom got along quite well (which is good because she had made him a box of frosted sugar cookies) and Connor also proved that he has no common sense, practically diving into the water at the hotel pool with my dad. Connor endeared himself forever as favorite grandson when he called my dad "pappy" which in Connor's version is a whispered "puh puh". Very cute!



Elaine

No comments:

Post a Comment