Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Bird population reduced by one

"Mommy, a bird died! I can tell it died because it isn't flying anymore. It's just laying on the floor [of the birdcage]."
"Indeed, Connor. That's a dead bird. I'm going to take it out of the cage."
"Why did that bird die?"
"Oh, I don't know. Probably he just got really old."
"Are you really old?"
"No. I'm going to be around for a long time. Just like my mommy and daddy are still alive - and they're older than me, and daddy's mommy and daddy are still alive - and they're older than me, I'll be around when you become a daddy too."

-- 3 days later

"Connor, we're going to a party across the street. Carl, our neighbor, will be there. Think of the biggest number you can, and that's how old Carl is."
"8!"
"Even older. Carl is 100. Isn't that amazing?"
"Is he going to die?"
"Probably. But hopefully not at the party tonight."

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear God. I feel wrong for laughing, but I just can't stop.

    ReplyDelete