Wednesday, September 6, 2006

Did I hear you correctly?


As might be apparent to even the most casual of observers, there are very few rules in my house when it comes to Connor. In general, we attempt to avoid big problems (for example, putting those annoying plastic outlet covers on all of the outlets) and not sweat the small stuff like unrolling toilet paper, throwing food on the floor, or leaving toys strewn about.

The rules we do have generally come from me. For example, I do not allow Connor to pull my hair – and though he was fascinated with this prospect for a couple of weeks, he rarely attempts it anymore. At about the same time he noticed my hair and its potential for pulling, Connor also noticed Ed’s glasses and decided taking them off made for a great game. I told Ed he should stop the habit by simply telling Connor “no” and removing Connor’s hands from his glasses when Connor reached for them. This act was unfathomable to Ed, and as a result Connor has become expert at ripping the glasses from Ed’s face, leaving Ed essentially blind. (He has also tried to swipe the glasses of innocent strangers.) The second rule I have is that Connor may no longer put his entire fist in my glass of water and splash about. Unfortunately, my efforts on this front have not been entirely successful yet.

Last night, Connor’s relationship with Ed was changed forever. When Connor put his hand in my glass and I pulled the glass away and told Connor he could have a drink but he could not put his fist in the glass, Ed looked at Connor – mouth opening wide, locked eyes with Connor, and all of sudden, the word poured out. Ed said “No” to Connor. With a look of shock, Connor’s eyes turned to Ed, knowing he must have misheard. Connor appeared very confused. I don’t expect to hear the word again in the near future – and Connor certainly does not expect to hear it either.

Elaine

No comments:

Post a Comment