Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Happy Ten Month Birthday!

Dear Connor,

A couple of days ago, you turned ten months old. Why didn’t I write this earlier? Well, the girl you share your nanny with decided to give you an early birthday present – a pretty wicked cold. This, after you had just beaten the previous one. But this one well, it was much better. It was accompanied by a constant runny nose and my friend, it is really, really hard for me not to reach over and wipe your nose even though it obviously annoys you. Anyway, not wanting me to miss out on any of the fun, you passed the cold to me so that we could enjoy being under the weather together. I must say though, you were a champ. Because boy did I feel terrible these past two days. I even went so far as to take cold medicine before I went to sleep which meant I had to tell your da da to keep his ears open for you in the middle of the night because I wasn’t sure I would hear you. Although your da da thinks he hears you when you wake up, he does not. He has been very impressed with your ability to sleep through the night many nights that you have, in fact, not slept through the night. The timing of this illness is rather poor because tomorrow is the big 10 month follow-up weigh-in, and I suspect you’ve been eating a little less lately than you might normally if you were feeling better. Bummer! But, in any case, I’ve lacked the energy to compose a coherent thought in the past couple of evenings.

You've discovered the refrigerator, and I don't know why it makes you laugh so much, but it does. A couple of days ago, you managed to drag a bag of apples out of it, and eventually used that one tooth of yours to get a little taste of the apple.


Locomotion continues to be the big theme of your life. You can crawl to get just about anywhere you want to get – and yesterday you were like a cat with a ball of yarn chasing a toy of yours around. You would bat it, it would roll, you would chase it. You are also tentatively cruising around the music table, toybox, the neighbor’s fence and anything else you pull up on – and will even go from one object to another if the distance is sufficiently small. Rather than pulling up with your arms, you now push up with your legs, using your arms more for balance. This means you have achieved the skill of crawling up to me and achieving a standing position. I first learned this when we were brushing our teeth one morning and all of sudden as I was leaning over spitting out toothpaste, you were patting me on the butt. Thanks. You can lower yourself ever so gently from standing to sitting which is great because you no longer risk knocking your noggin every time you decide to go from upright to sitting. You also figured out the stairs, though I really don’t know how as you rarely see them. But, one day I was getting ready to take you up them and you made a diving motion to get down and then you showed me that you could do it yourself. Only a few steps at a time before a rest period is needed, but it’s a start.

You have many projects around the house including knocking all of the bottles off the side of the bathtub and taking clothes out of baskets and papers out of bags. Mims might say I got what I deserved. Here, you're sorting socks.


You love to pet the neighbor’s cats, Katrina and Piccolo, and we often visit them in the afternoon after I get home from work. I have a rather unnatural fear of cats, but I am trying to be brave because I can see the pleasure it gives you. Your pats usually end up with a handful of fur, and so far the cat hasn’t seemed to mind. Its owner continues to reassure me that the cat is very nice, but I’m still nervous. You also love dogs and one day this month, your da da took you to the dog park and that was very exciting. I’m not sure if it was more or less exciting than the petting zoo we took you to last weekend. The thing about the petting zoo is that one of those awful geese walked right up to me and TOUCHED my leg which did not make me happy, though you didn’t seem to mind. I needed your Mims’ golf club to get that thing away from me, but I didn’t have it. Because you are getting heavier each day, your da da had the pleasure of being the primary baby holder, but that left me as the primary goat feeder, which meant I ended up with goat spit all over my hand. Yuck! When you can walk, your ma ma is going to stay home and avoid that mess.



You now clearly seem to know who da da and ma ma are, and these are back to being your favorite syllables. On occasion, you say something else, but I can’t say as it’s understandable to me yet.

You have also reaffirmed my belief that you are a brute! You have one of those toys where you push a button and a character pops up. Despite the fact that I keep showing you that pushing the button is how you get the guys to pop up, you look at me quizzically when I do this and then show me how you can also just pry each container that the guys are in open and the guys will pop out. Whatever works, I guess.

We're trying to fatten you up for the big weigh-in tomorrow, which included a few bite of my veggie cheeseburger. Yum!


It’s been another great month, Connor. Your grandpa, grandma, and Uncle Mike will be here on Saturday. I’m certain that they will be amazed by you.

Love,
ma ma ma ma ma

No comments:

Post a Comment