Thursday, March 10, 2016

It's a Wrap

Helen has been attending a weekly theater class through a local children's company. She has been having an absolute hoot. The theme of the class is running away and joining the circus. Due to snow cancellations, the last class was moved from last weekend to this weekend. Sadly, Helen cannot attend this weekend because her Odyssey of the Mind team is performing at the same time her class is being held. Lucky for me, the teacher let me watch their rehearsal last week.

First up was a skit where each child motivated why they were running away and joining the circus. Helen's skit was about Connor and Ed arguing at dinner. Although I don't doubt that there was much arguing many weeks ago when class started, dinner has been going much better for the past several weeks, so I don't think the sketch reflects our current reality. At the end of the scene, Helen stomps her foot and shouts "I'm running away and joining the circus". Each child in the class had a separate story.

After that, Helen was a baby bugging an older sister and a few other supporting roles.

Finally, she made it to the circus and performed an amazing feat of walking on a tight rope. She didn't fall off once. It was a jump rope on the floor, so if she had fallen, it would not have been far.

She was, of course, the star of the show (IN MY EYE) and was thrilled to share all her hard work. I captured some of it on video, but my stupid phone filled up quickly so I don't have the whole show. I wasn't confident I'd be able to watch so I didn't have my video camera with me.




Helen will take another class this summer. After that, I'll be surprised is she doesn't fully catch the theater bug.

Elaine


No comments:

Post a Comment